Question Dota 2 crashing constantly on RX 580

Aug 24, 2019
Hey guys,

I've recently upgraded from an MSI GTX 1050 to a Gigabyte RX 580 8GB .

The transition was not smooth and had plenty of crashes and scares. Many of which have been fixed and stabilised by correcting settings, and/ or undervolting and underclocking the card through MSI Afterburner (Wattman kept resetting after rebooting).

What I cannot figure out is why this particular game constantly crashes under any API (DX 9, DX 11, Vulkan, and OpenGL), regardless of settings used. I get this weird artifacting (see attached) and crashes, some of which restart the driver, others lock the computer and have to be manually rebooted.
I am aware of the Unreal Engine crashes due to attempting to run Soul Cailbur 6 unsuccessfully (same artifacting screen).

Battlefield V and Tomb Raider run perfectly under DX 12 for hours. No issues with Mortal Kombat XL, Resident Evil 7, Resident Evil 2, or Tekken 7 either.

I've stress tested the system multiple times using Heaven benchmark, Superposition and OCCT. All ran perfectly with no errors.

First crash before undervolting/ underclocking and increasing power limit to +50%
Display driver crash now
OCCT test

I'm currently using the latest 19.8.1 Adrenalin driver.

CPU: Intel G4560
Mobo: MSI H110M
PSU: Antec VP600P
RAM: 8GB
GPU: Gigabyte RX 580 8GB

Did not have any issues under any API using the default Intel HD graphics, nor the GTX 1050.

Anyone have this issue before, or ideas on how to resolve?

Aug 24, 2019
First and most important : Did you uninstalled the graphic drivers before you replaced the graphic card?

And second: Did you have any problems prior to the replacement?

1) I uninstalled the Nvidia drivers using DDU, prior to installation of the new one.

2) Nope, the GTX 1050 was running all API's for DOTA 2, and any other game perfectly fine.

Upon digging abit more into AMD's forums, I've come across a post that suggested increasing the voltage control setting to the memory from 950mV to 960mV. This seems to be the most stable setting, after discarding all other changes (underclocks, undervoltings, power limit increases reset automatically after Wattman crashed a few times during prior testing, and forgetting to add them back. They no longer seem necessary for now).

Aug 24, 2019
The problem is that Antec PSU.
It could be, but then wouldn't the crashes be consistent through all demanding games, or even show during the OCCT PSU+GPU stress test?

I feel it may be driver or Wattman setting related from the last few tweaks personally, but I may very well be wrong too.

Will start saving up for a new PSU regardless, just in case.