[SOLVED] Dota 2 occasionally freezes and show BSOD / Randomly Restarts during game

Sep 1, 2019
I just recently upgraded some of my system parts due to frequent BSOD in the middle of a game in DOTA 2

Old System:
  • A68hm-E33 Motherboard
  • A6-5400k APU
  • 4GB 1333Mhz Kingston
  • Sapphire Radeon 1GB GDDR5 Edition

New System:
  • A68hm-E33 Motherboard (Same)
  • Athlon X4 - 870k
  • 4GB 1333Mhz Kingston (Same)
  • Radeon RX 550 4GB Edition

with these minor upgrades I experience the same problem (Random BSOD/Freeze) in the game, I tried a fresh installed update of windows 10 1903 and updated all drivers. My suspicion of what's causing the same problem is the RAM, at 4GB when I run steam and in-game, the RAM spikes up to 95-97% usage while both CPU and GPU stays at around 50-60% usage, although my CPU temps go up as high as 68-70C (monitored by speedfan).

Could it be a CPU Temp problem or with the RAM? I'm currently using a stock cooling fan from AMD for the CPU.

Solution
you did not put any new paste on cooler and use it from previous install anytime you remove cooler it need to be clean off old paste and repaste also i would try another psu in system if you use this one similar as picture you might be short on power under load ,
Sep 1, 2019
any code for bsod also made sure you cpu cooler is well fix on the cpu and you did use thermal paste also what is the air flow in this case and psu name and model .

When I bought the stock cooler it has some pre-applied thermal paste on it so I thought that would be enough for the x4 since I've installed a stock cooler also with pre-applied thermal paste on the a6 before. Airflow in the case would pretty much be average with the single stock system fan (my other system which is a ryzen 5 1600x build also runs in stock cooling with idle temps of 40-45C); about the psu I cant find the brand name but it is most likely some standard generic 650W psu kinda looks like this one:
Generic%20Power%20Supply%20200_650WATTS.jpg

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
you did not put any new paste on cooler and use it from previous install anytime you remove cooler it need to be clean off old paste and repaste also i would try another psu in system if you use this one similar as picture you might be short on power under load ,

Solution
Sep 1, 2019

It was a brand new cooler and not the old one, but its just the same model, and it already came with pre applied thermal paste. Anyway the code from the BSOD was KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE. I’m considering your advice on changing the psu since it was just a generic one and the cpu and gpu are both power hungry.