Dothan Review: Powerful and low-power

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
> Common sense tells me a room will heat up more using a 300
>watt heater over a speaker drawing a constant 300 watts.

Well.. then your sense isn't so common :)

> I'd just like somone to explain how 300 watts going in
>always produces the same heat output

since it can't be different, obviously it will be the same ?

>ake a 300watt air conditioner sure it creates some heat in
>the process but not the heat a 300watt heater would.

Indeed.. closer to the heat a 1000W heater would generate. You can't "delete" heat (energy), you can only move it. Moving it takes a considerable ammount of energy which is (you guessed it) wasted by producing even more heat (but elsewhere).

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
We're saying the same things here...

And I just wanted to add is that your timing issue is a little off. If you don't roll your boulder off the hill, it might just stay put and never release its energy in the form of heat, that's my point.
And this isn’t gonna happen until the universe collapses back for the next big-bang.
Yes, now you really went for far-fetched all the way... You needed a big bang to convert all of the universe into heat? OMG. Nasty move.

Let's just discuss CPUs, indeed... We all agree that for all practical purposes, all energy drawn by a computer inevitably turns into heat.

<i><font color=red>You never change the existing reality by fighting it. Instead, create a new model that makes the old one obsolete</font color=red> - Buckminster Fuller </i><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Mephistopheles on 07/26/04 06:49 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

zeezee

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2004
>Yes, now you really went for far-fetched all the way...
> You needed a big bang to convert all of the universe into heat?

Technically speaking, the collapse turns the matter into energy – call it heat if you want but at the time of the full collapse, you don’t have any matter left which means no atoms to vibrate and consequently no heat as we understand – just energy, pure energy.

On the other hand, Big Bang creates matter (at least it did once), just hydrogen and a little bit of helium. …but enough to have “heat” around.

> OMG. Nasty move.

I think not but suit yourself. I’ve made wrong moves countless times, wouldn’t mind admitting it this time.

Nice discussion though...

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
just energy, pure energy.
Hm, I wonder how that looks like in our terms? In any case, our physical laws did not establish themselves until shortly after the big bang... So quite literally, god knows what the big bang was about...
I think not but suit yourself.
Well, I only said it was a nasty move because none of us will be around for it to matter, that's all...
Nice discussion though...
Oh yeah. :smile:

<i><font color=red>You never change the existing reality by fighting it. Instead, create a new model that makes the old one obsolete</font color=red> - Buckminster Fuller </i>

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
Indeed.. closer to the heat a 1000W heater would generate. You can't "delete" heat (energy), you can only move it. Moving it takes a considerable ammount of energy which is (you guessed it) wasted by producing even more heat (but elsewhere).

LOL.. ok did a little google searching and I learnt a few thing like turn a fan off in a hot room if you are not in the room cause temps will rise in the room with it on. I found that very interesting. So looks like you were right watts in ='s heat out. But 300 watt airconditioner putting out the heat of a 1000 watt heater? Why not take your more energy output machine turn the compessor into a friction device and sell it as a heater. Think of all the money you would save with a 300watt broken airconditioner over a 300watt heater that can put out the heat of a 1000 watt heater.

You might want to hurry up and get a patent on it before kanivit beats you to it :)

If I glanced at a spilt box of tooth picks on the floor, could I tell you how many are in the pile. Not a chance, But then again I don't have to buy my underware at Kmart.

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
>LOL.. ok did a little google searching and I learnt a few
>thing like turn a fan off in a hot room if you are not in
>the room cause temps will rise in the room with it on.

...unless the fan helps in circulating hot air out, and letting cool air in (think a summer evening when its hotter inside as outside).. oh well..

>Why not take your more energy output machine turn the
>compessor into a friction device and sell it as a heater.

Mighty expensive room heater with no way of regulating the output ?

> Think of all the money you would save with a 300watt
>broken airconditioner over a 300watt heater that can put
>out the heat of a 1000 watt heater.

hu ? I'd WAG a 3000W electrical room heater would cost maybe $50, a 3000W airconditioner (capable of cooling 1000W) maybe 10-20x as much.

But indeed both do interact.... consider a server room where every 100W costs you money >3x (once for the power of the computer, twice to cool the room and then some for circulating around hot air with fans). Now I assume in a clever building the heat generated by the airco is used to warm up other places when needed, so in a way, your hot Xeon servers are already working as room heaters :)

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
"hu ? I'd WAG a 3000W electrical room heater would cost maybe $50, a 3000W airconditioner (capable of cooling 1000W) maybe 10-20x as much."

So long as they both draw the same power (3000 watts) for the same amount of time they will cost the same. for both the heater and aircoditioner you would be charged 3 Kilowatts from you hydro company for every hour of continous use under load at 3000watts. A watt is a unit of power, energy consumed or generated per unit of time. you can never have an efficiency greater than 1. Your hydro company charges you by the kilowatt Hour of electricity used. A kilowatt hour is kilowatts times hours. The amount of power you used measured in kilowatts times the amount of time used. If you used a 3000 watt heater for 100 hours in a month at a cost of $0.14 per kilowatt-hour, your hydro company would bill you 3000 watt x 100 hours = 300,000 watt-hours = 300 kilowatt-hours.
your bill would amount to 300 kilowatt-hours x $0.14 / kW-hr = $42.00

So a 300 watt airconditioner cannot put out the heat of a 1000watt heater. You said yourself heaters are close to 100% efficent. unless you only turn the heater on 1/3 of the time. Remember you can never have an efficiency greater than 1 so if you have a way around that let me know.

If I glanced at a spilt box of tooth picks on the floor, could I tell you how many are in the pile. Not a chance, But then again I don't have to buy my underware at Kmart.

Xeon

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2004
Reserved Spot for exact numbers of radiations emissions from a processor... still doing the math...

Xeon

<font color=red>Post created with being a dickhead in mind.</font color=red>
<font color=white>For all emotional and slanderous statements contact THG for all law suits.</font color=white>

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
>So long as they both draw the same power (3000 watts) for
>the same amount of time they will cost the same.

Sorry, I thought you where talking about purchasing cost (which would be an order of magnitude higher for airco over space heaters), not the cost of power consumption. I do know what a (kilo)watt is though :D