Dots appearing on screen

MrCasperTom

Reputable
Apr 12, 2015
So I thought I would post here as having little luck with internet searches.

I bought a new computer about a month ago (custom build but built by a company rather than myself). After using the computer without issues since being bought randomly today a problem cropped up: Dots have started appearing randomly on the display as highlighted in the image below.

I've tried a number of things to solve this issue but no dice. I'm connecting through HDMI so I tried switching the cable used but the dots were still there. Tried attaching a different computer (my laptop) to the monitor to see if it was a monitor issue but everything was perfectly fine. Finely I used another monitor connect to the computer and the dots appeared on the new monitor as well.

From that I'm gathering it has something to do with the Graphics Card but there might be something I'm missing, hence posting here. Is this a call up the company as I'm still under warrenty issue or if there something I'm missing as to what it could be?

Thanks in advance for the help

Solution

That can't be artifacting. He's posted a Windows screenshot, and the dots are showing up in the screenshot. That means that Windows is actually rendering those dots since a screenshot bypasses the display path of your graphics hardware; they're not an artifact of an overheating GPU or bad VRAM. In other words, it's a software problem.

My guess would be some type of 3rd party program installed which is trying...
thats not an issue of stuck or dead pixels as they wouldnt appear randomly.! more like artifacting. monitor your gpu temps. if they apear normal drop gpu clocks a bit and see if the dots dissapear . however if you are under gpu overclocking, you have obviously overstressed the gpu, again lower clocks. also post your specs

That can't be artifacting. He's posted a Windows screenshot, and the dots are showing up in the screenshot. That means that Windows is actually rendering those dots since a screenshot bypasses the display path of your graphics hardware; they're not an artifact of an overheating GPU or bad VRAM. In other words, it's a software problem.

My guess would be some type of 3rd party program installed which is trying to alter the display, which is adding the dots. Try booting into safe mode and see if the dots still appear. If they're gone, then you're going to have to go through the list of programs and utilities which normally load when the computer starts, and figure out which one is the culprit.

Solution

MrCasperTom

Reputable
Apr 12, 2015

So your advice seemed to pay off. Didn't show up in safe mode so I tried to identify the potential program causing it. I think I have an idea of what is was but coudn't manage to do it via direct installation so I did a system refresh and that appears to have solved the problem.

Thanks to both of you for helping out.

oliver911turbo

Prominent
Sep 22, 2017

I have basically same problem. I have dots on screen and when i delete graphics drivers dots dissapear. I got a Pavilion G6 laptop and what is surpising that i havent found anything about this kind of problem. Looks like im the only one with this kind of problem. Using solutions for similar problems ive managed to make the issue little bit smaller. At the beginning there was too many dots and screen drivers sayd that they recovered from something. I ran registry editor and added tdrdelay to graphics drivers and now it doesnt turn black for second or two. on the screenshots you can see the dots too. If anybody can help me then please help. Also somewhy i cant run safe mode.