Question Double Boot with PCIe adapter

Aug 5, 2021
Hey guys
Wondering if someone can shed some light for me. So recently was given a spare NVME drive and since i already had 1 plugged into my motherboard (Prime B350-Plus) I ended up buying a PCIe adapter card so that i can use the drive.

Once it was plugged in and when powering on from cold boot my machine will boot up for 2 seconds, shut down and then proceed to boot again as normal. Once in windows all drives come up but my concern is the boots > shutdowns > boots into windows.
I have tried using both PCIEX1_1 and PCIEX1_2 slots but still have the same issue. As a precaution I also did reset my bios setting to defaults but still have that same issue.

Is there some sort of setting that im missing or is this just normal behavior?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Mind sharing a link to the adapter that you're working with and the NVMe drives that you currently own? On another note, what BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard? Was the NVMe drive that was handed down from your friend wiped clean?

Might want to list your specs for added measure, like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Aug 5, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Mind sharing a link to the adapter that you're working with and the NVMe drives that you currently own? On another note, what BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard? Was the NVMe drive that was handed down from your friend wiped clean?

Might want to list your specs for added measure, like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Yes of course I should have mentioned that. So the adapter was purchased off of Aliexpress, no real branded one but looks like this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...exp_id=b82c5630-3d34-4b99-8781-9315aeb0d442-8
The current NVME drive im using is Intel 600p 512GB which is plugged into my motherboards m.2 slot. The 2nd one with the adapter. Both NVMe drives are identical. Motherboard is using the latest version 5602, which i reckon i updated at the start of this year. The handed down drive has been wiped accordingly, as mentioned with adapter my machine does boot to windows so i diskparted is once i was able to get in, so its pretty much wiped and ready to be used.

Specs are:
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
Motherboard: Prime B350- Plus
Ram: 2 x 8GB ddr4 2666 Adata Tech
SSD/HDD: 1 x 256GB Samsung 870evo SSD, 1 x 4 TB WD HDD, 1 x 512GB Intel 600p NVME (this one is one that i have had for while)
GPU: Asus gtx1080 8GB Strix Aura
PSU: Corsair CS850M
Chassis: Corsair C70 Vengeance

Thanks

Aug 5, 2021
What might be on this drive?

Please show us a screencap of your Disk Management window.
its a Intel 512gb 600p nmve, which i have plugged into a pcie adapter (link of adapter in my previous post). I currently dont have it plugged in cause i just wasnt sure why its doing its boot up for 2seconds, then shut down and then boot up normally.

Cheers

USAFRet

Titan
its a Intel 512gb 600p nmve, which i have plugged into a pcie adapter (link of adapter in my previous post). I currently dont have it plugged in cause i just wasnt sure why its doing its boot up for 2seconds, then shut down and then boot up normally.

Cheers
I asked what was on it, because it sounds like a used drive.
Hence, the request for the Disk Management window.

Aug 5, 2021
I asked what was on it, because it sounds like a used drive.
Hence, the request for the Disk Management window.
Oh sorry about that. From memory i think they may have been using it as their primary boot drive, partitioned with games. But they wiped the drive before they gave it to me.
But once i had it i still ended up using disk part and made sure and formatted it to a standard ntfs drive to use.
As for the disk management window, i dont have it plugged in so cant really show you that. Might have to do over the weekend and can post if you would like.

USAFRet

Titan
Oh sorry about that. From memory i think they may have been using it as their primary boot drive, partitioned with games. But they wiped the drive before they gave it to me.
But once i had it i still ended up using disk part and made sure and formatted it to a standard ntfs drive to use.
As for the disk management window, i dont have it plugged in so cant really show you that. Might have to do over the weekend and can post if you would like.
Just "formatting", either you or them, may leave behind the original boot partition.
Unseen in Windows File Manager.

Hence the request for the Disk Management window.