Double Fine Confirms Brutal Legend for PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

m32

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
Not bad.

[citation][nom]xpeh[/nom]Absolutely no doubt in my mind that EA will find a way to ruin this title for the PC.[/citation]

EA ruining something?! Blasphemy!

dark_knight33

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
A 2009 console game being ported to PC almost 4 years later? Sounds like they are reaching for easy cash. I didn't care much when it released on consoles, and I don't care now. Why anyone is looking forward to a mediocre console game from 3+ years ago being ported to the PC is beyond me. What's even more beyond me is how games like this get a port, but ground breakers like Heavy Rain remain exclusives.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]dark_knight33[/nom]A 2009 console game being ported to PC almost 4 years later? Sounds like they are reaching for easy cash. I didn't care much when it released on consoles, and I don't care now. Why anyone is looking forward to a mediocre console game from 3+ years ago being ported to the PC is beyond me. What's even more beyond me is how games like this get a port, but ground breakers like Heavy Rain remain exclusives.[/citation]

I thought the game was freaking awsome on the 360 did you even play it ? it had a really unique rts system built into an action RPG game. it also had an awesome story.

The only issue i had with the game is they advertised it as featuring all teh greatest metal bands (it does get most ), but alas it didn't have a single Iron Maiden song , the most influential old school metal band , metallica , mega deth , slayer , sepultura , pantera, Iced earth, and about half the bands that had music in the game were influenced and listened to iron maiden themselves. when i beat the game with not ever seeing any thing from maiden i was like WTF ???

a pc version will be awesome if done right, and hopefully it comes moddable. if they can manage that , i'll grab up a pc version asap.

mamailo

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
[citation][nom]dark_knight33[/nom]A 2009 console game being ported to PC almost 4 years later? Sounds like they are reaching for easy cash. I didn't care much when it released on consoles, and I don't care now. Why anyone is looking forward to a mediocre console game from 3+ years ago being ported to the PC is beyond me. What's even more beyond me is how games like this get a port, but ground breakers like Heavy Rain remain exclusives.[/citation]

Is ported because is a freaking great game. Add the hilarious moments, distinctive music and celebrity cameos.

A must have if you grew at the time. Just hope PC version let me add my favorites dual riffts

G

There's always a choice:

$20 for a digital license to a game that has licensed music in it that can, and will, someday be taken down and/or patched because the licensing ran out?

-OR-

Go to Ebay right now and pick up the disc version for PS3/Xbox for a whopping $5 where the only way the RIAA is going to get thier music back is to come to my house with a shotgun?

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
brutal legend is a good and unique game. its different from the flock and it is fun. Groundbreaking exclusives usually have a particular publisher/developer making the title. check who published Heavy Rain. IMO its better to get a port from a great 3 year old game than not get one at all.

dark_knight33

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
[citation][nom]bustapr[/nom]brutal legend is a good and unique game. its different from the flock and it is fun. Groundbreaking exclusives usually have a particular publisher/developer making the title. check who published Heavy Rain. IMO its better to get a port from a great 3 year old game than not get one at all.[/citation]

I've reread info about the game, including my old game informer that had it on the cover. You guys are right in that it was a good, unique game. However, there are a *lot* of good games coming out in 2013, that haven't already been on consoles for years.

Perhaps I took too harsh a stance against the game, in calling it mediocre. Still you might forgive me in that it TOOK THREE PLUS YEARS before they deemed the PC good enough to run a console game. If our platform wasn't good enough to launch on, why reward the company for coming to the table long after the game was relevant? I'd rather put my money into BL2, Bioshock Infinite, XCom, Miasmata, Dishonored, etc. I suppose those games aren't in the same genre, but PC has never really been a big destination of Music games. The most popular have been restricted to consoles for a long time. Bringing them to PC only now, as an after thought is insulting to me.

Arls

Honorable
Apr 16, 2012
There was a lawsuit, and a publisher change during the game's development so there was no $$$$ for a PC version. I think DoubleFine bought back the rights for this game from the publisher and is funding the PC version out of their own pocket.

Keep in mind every studio would love for their games to be on PC as well as the consoles. Sometimes its just not in budget.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

oh no, its a few years old... how can anyone lay that crap

thats about all i got out of your comment.
game wasnt worth 60$ and pulled a bait and switch with anyone who didnt know the rts element was a massive part of the game.

but i got it for 17$ about 2 years ago...
money well spent.

its not a bad game... and if you can rip the music from it like you could the 360 and i believe ps3 version, than its worth it for the music alone. ill probably pick it up again on a christmass sale.

[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]I thought the game was freaking awsome on the 360 did you even play it ? it had a really unique rts system built into an action RPG game. it also had an awesome story.The only issue i had with the game is they advertised it as featuring all teh greatest metal bands (it does get most ), but alas it didn't have a single Iron Maiden song , the most influential old school metal band , metallica , mega deth , slayer , sepultura , pantera, Iced earth, and about half the bands that had music in the game were influenced and listened to iron maiden themselves. when i beat the game with not ever seeing any thing from maiden i was like WTF ??? a pc version will be awesome if done right, and hopefully it comes moddable. if they can manage that , i'll grab up a pc version asap.[/citation]

the rts part sucked, not enough to ruin the game... but it blew...
and the game was short, i beat it in i think 6 maybe 7 hours...
and till the tree from the goths, i had no problems in the game at all, it was easy....

iron maiden probably cost WAY to much to license, considering how many other bands are in there.

[citation][nom]dark_knight33[/nom]I've reread info about the game, including my old game informer that had it on the cover. You guys are right in that it was a good, unique game. However, there are a *lot* of good games coming out in 2013, that haven't already been on consoles for years.Perhaps I took too harsh a stance against the game, in calling it mediocre. Still you might forgive me in that it TOOK THREE PLUS YEARS before they deemed the PC good enough to run a console game. If our platform wasn't good enough to launch on, why reward the company for coming to the table long after the game was relevant? I'd rather put my money into BL2, Bioshock Infinite, XCom, Miasmata, Dishonored, etc. I suppose those games aren't in the same genre, but PC has never really been a big destination of Music games. The most popular have been restricted to consoles for a long time. Bringing them to PC only now, as an after thought is insulting to me.[/citation]

adding a platform to develop a game for costs about 10 million dollars.
the game also wasnt a block buster by any means, so a pc version would have hurt it more than anything
after the game tanked on the consoles, and prior to that another game that tanked (one of my favroite games) Psychonauts, im surprised that double fine is still in business.

they have enough money now that moving the game to the pc was possible, i dont see anything bad in that.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]fcorona76[/nom]There's always a choice:$20 for a digital license to a game that has licensed music in it that can, and will, someday be taken down and/or patched because the licensing ran out?-OR-Go to Ebay right now and pick up the disc version for PS3/Xbox for a whopping $5 where the only way the RIAA is going to get thier music back is to come to my house with a shotgun?[/citation]

Speak for yourself buddy if the RIAA shows up at my house with a shot gun they still aint getting sh-- back , i'm in texas out here we fire back and aim to kill.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]dark_knight33[/nom]I've reread info about the game, including my old game informer that had it on the cover. You guys are right in that it was a good, unique game. However, there are a *lot* of good games coming out in 2013, that haven't already been on consoles for years.Perhaps I took too harsh a stance against the game, in calling it mediocre. Still you might forgive me in that it TOOK THREE PLUS YEARS before they deemed the PC good enough to run a console game. If our platform wasn't good enough to launch on, why reward the company for coming to the table long after the game was relevant? I'd rather put my money into BL2, Bioshock Infinite, XCom, Miasmata, Dishonored, etc. I suppose those games aren't in the same genre, but PC has never really been a big destination of Music games. The most popular have been restricted to consoles for a long time. Bringing them to PC only now, as an after thought is insulting to me.[/citation]

last i checked double fine is not a rich nor a big studio. its not that they "just now deem pc able to run their game" more to the point they likely didn't have enough money to go cross platform with it right off ( it was initially a xbox 360 exclusive, and then wehnt to ps3 a year later i beleive). notice they are doing the port them selves , this also suggest they didn't have the money to outsource the pc version to another company like many console ports or multi platform games do.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]oh no, its a few years old... how can anyone lay that crapthats about all i got out of your comment. game wasnt worth 60$ and pulled a bait and switch with anyone who didnt know the rts element was a massive part of the game. but i got it for 17$ about 2 years ago...money well spent.its not a bad game... and if you can rip the music from it like you could the 360 and i believe ps3 version, than its worth it for the music alone. ill probably pick it up again on a christmass sale. the rts part sucked, not enough to ruin the game... but it blew...and the game was short, i beat it in i think 6 maybe 7 hours... and till the tree from the goths, i had no problems in the game at all, it was easy....iron maiden probably cost WAY to much to license, considering how many other bands are in there. adding a platform to develop a game for costs about 10 million dollars.the game also wasnt a block buster by any means, so a pc version would have hurt it more than anythingafter the game tanked on the consoles, and prior to that another game that tanked (one of my favroite games) Psychonauts, im surprised that double fine is still in business. they have enough money now that moving the game to the pc was possible, i dont see anything bad in that.[/citation]

1. i actually enjoyed the rts elements of the game

and 2. maybe you got a good point about Iron maiden costing to much ,but i don't buy it , staainless licensed maiden songs back on carmagedon 2 and that company has way smaller pockets than double fine even. not to forget the biggest money whore of the heavy metal world (thanks to his greedy sell out wife ) is OZZY who IS featured in the game musically and as voice talent.

so I'm not really buying that maiden was to expensive , ask me it's plausible that maiden wasn't even approached about the game.

but i will admit maybe you have a point , i just don't see maiden being all that more expensive to license from compared to some of the other bands in the game.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]1. i actually enjoyed the rts elements of the game and 2. maybe you got a good point about Iron maiden costing to much ,but i don't buy it , staainless licensed maiden songs back on carmagedon 2 and that company has way smaller pockets than double fine even. not to forget the biggest money whore of the heavy metal world (thanks to his greedy sell out wife ) is OZZY who IS featured in the game musically and as voice talent. so I'm not really buying that maiden was to expensive , ask me it's plausible that maiden wasn't even approached about the game. but i will admit maybe you have a point , i just don't see maiden being all that more expensive to license from compared to some of the other bands in the game.[/citation]

times change, and the situation changes.
bands don't have to be fair with the prices they ask for their music, at the same time if they like something they don't have to charge as much either.

carmagedon 2 came out during a time when 1 million units would have been a major hit in terms of sales, and now some games may not even break even without 4 million sales. i can guarantee that brutal legend wasnt a cheap game probably barely broke even.

i really wish i could talk about contributions to music between who is in the game and maiden, but i wasnt born back than and cant look at it objectively. its like telling me that X made major contributions to music, and till them no one did X, but the thing is, now X would be common sense to the point i can barely see it as amazeing. im not sure i explaind that right.

and as for the rts portion... the rts portion was pathetic. it all came down to basically have your guys beat their guys and have as many of your guys do that as possible. there was very little strategy and that may have been a good thing considering it was a console game. the only part that gave me trouble was that emo tree and that annoyed me to the point i dropped difficulty.

the thing is if you are looking for an rts to play, i cant recommend this game as the rts is stupid (not stupid in game, just the strategy part, as you need next to none) and if you are looking for a 3rd person action game, its also hard to recommend because of the rts element. but at the price, and if you can put up with the rts, the story is very enjoyable... you just have to know exactly what you are getting into.

you have to remember how it was sold. there was no rts anything until the last few week when most people who are excited about a game stop paying attention to the game media so they aren't spoiled. the demo for the game if i remember right made no mention of rts and was a straight 3rd person action... they knew the rts part wouldn't sell, and gave it to us under the radar, it wasn't bad enough to make everyone who preorded riot, but it did no favors to the game over all.

Status
Not open for further replies.