Question Double NAT management

finwizz

Reputable
Mar 3, 2019
Need some advice please.

Setup is:
  • ISP Router (required for Digital phone) and does not go into Modem mode (A)
  • Orbi Mesh router (B) and 2 satellites. 3 ethernet connections to Orbi base and 20 Wi-Fi devices attached to it
  • 500Mb FTTP
My plan, if possible, is to:
  • Switch off Wi-Fi on ISP Router A and give it different SSID compared to B
  • Only connect 1 ethernet cable from A Lan port to B WAN Port
  • Do not use the 3 remaining Ethernet ports on A
  • Use 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.254 on B (to avoid re-configuring various devices on B
Is this a workable solution please?

I assume the lan port on router A does not also use 192.168.1.x for its network. Router B will need different subnets on the wan and lan.

In general that will work fine but you have the double nat issue. If you do not use a application that is affected by that it will not be a issue.

I am not sure if you can run the orbi device in bridge mode and still have the remote satellites. You likely could run the 2 satellites as simple repeaters off the main ISP router a using the standard WDS feature.

The router guys like to pretend MESH is something special but it really isn't. It is mostly just another name for a repeater. Maybe it might be slightly easier to configure for someone who does not care about security and uses the WPS options to set it up.

finwizz

Reputable
Mar 3, 2019
I assume the lan port on router A does not also use 192.168.1.x for its network. Router B will need different subnets on the wan and lan.

In general that will work fine but you have the double nat issue. If you do not use a application that is affected by that it will not be a issue.

I am not sure if you can run the orbi device in bridge mode and still have the remote satellites. You likely could run the 2 satellites as simple repeaters off the main ISP router a using the standard WDS feature.

The router guys like to pretend MESH is something special but it really isn't. It is mostly just another name for a repeater. Maybe it might be slightly easier to configure for someone who does not care about security and uses the WPS options to set it up.

Router A uses 192.168.0.1 sequence. I guess I can give it another one if I need to.

Hopefully I am not likely to have Double NAT issues such as games or VPN.

The Orbi base has 2 6 port switches running off it and 2 direct ethernet connected devices off it as well. I see your point of repeaters.

The ISP router way is what I plan to switch to shortly. Current ISP is not an issue as it's router is in Modem mode which Router A does not allow.

finwizz

Reputable
Mar 3, 2019
I can turn off the WiFi in Router A. I understand I can turn off DHCP in Router A as well.

So, is there a way to give a fixed ip address in Router A for Router B? Maybe put that fixed ip address in DMZ in Router A?

TRENDING THREADS