Double Press Low Power - GPU and PSU Strange Issue

c2phace

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011
I asked this question years ago and know one had any ideas (in 2011) - so I thought if I asked again now someone may have seen something similar happen. Here is the problem, remember this is an old system:

I'm on a KN9 SLI motherboard with an X2 Titanium 500w PSU and a XFX AMD Radeon HD 6790. When I start my computer it appears to boot, but I get a graphics card error beep sequence and no display. Out of frustration I would restart by pushing the power button and try again. One of these times I happened to push the power button 2x very quickly after the beeps. The system restarted and booted perfectly with display. The only difference was that it seemed like the fans were running slightly slower - I can only say it seemed like the PC was in a low power mode... When I restart I have the same issue. Anyway this was several years ago and I have been using this work-around top boot ever since! The system runs great and is stable. Any idea why this is happening, or how I can set it as default?

The only thing I can think of is that I am overriding some BIOS setting (AMD cool and quite?). Any ideas would be awesome. I'm on a new system now, and I'm passing this PC onto a family member and don't want to try to explain how to hack this thing to get it to work! Thanks everyone!

c2phace

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011
Yep. I have a new build with a Seasonic and of course with that it works great. I know the correct solution is to get a new PSU, but I'm kind of interested why and how it runs in a low power mode... and works really well. Is it possible the PSU isn't delivering power fast enough at boot?