Double Router Port Forwarding URGENT

jonathanb987

Reputable
Jun 11, 2014
I REALLY NEED HELP. PLEASE HELP IN ANY WAY YOU CAN.

I port forwarded through my Netgear router. Everything was great and fine. Then my ISP sent a new modem and router combination (I think it's referred to as a gateway?). Right when this happened, my ports closed. I had to port forward again... but it wasn't working. I have spent 7+ searching on the internet for the answer and nothing worked.

Basically it seems I have to port forward through both of my routers. Yes, they are both hooked up. They both must be hooked up because the modem/router combo sucks really bad.

If you need any additional info, ask please.

// JB

USAFRet

Titan

For one or the other, you have to turn off most of the router functions. Specifically, DHCP.
What about the new one sucks?

jonathanb987

Reputable
Jun 11, 2014

I have Comcast. Not sure what it is called.

jonathanb987

Reputable
Jun 11, 2014

How can I tell which is the main?

jonathanb987

Reputable
Jun 11, 2014

The other one has EXTREMELY slow internet speed and terrible connection.

USAFRet

Titan

The 'main one' is the one closest to the cable coming in from the wall.

USAFRet

Titan

Most current consumer grade modem/routers all use the same 2 or 3 chipsets, so performance is pretty similar, all else being equal.

Specifically, what is it not doing?
Wired or wireless?
What is telling you it is 'slow'?

jonathanb987

Reputable
Jun 11, 2014

Is there a way I can determine this on the computer? One router's IP in 192.168.1.1 and the other is 10.0.0.1 (Those are the IP's right?)

USAFRet

Titan

Look at the actual wiring. The wire coming from the wall goes to one or the other. The other device is then (apparently) plugged into that one.

jonathanb987

Reputable
Jun 11, 2014

The setup is hard to get to. I am pretty sure that the main is the router/modem combo.

jonathanb987

Reputable
Jun 11, 2014

What is that? (I'm not good with this stuff, sorry.)

USAFRet

Titan

PITA = Pain in the Ass.

jonathanb987

Reputable
Jun 11, 2014

*facepalm* Okay. Let me try to get this working and I'll get back to you. I know how to set the DMZ (I think).

jonathanb987

Reputable
Jun 11, 2014

It is asking me for the IP address of the device I want to place under DMZ. What should go there?

USAFRet

Titan

Well...let's back up a little before we go all weird on the config.

How have we determined that the new modem/router is 'crappy'? Going to speedtest.net, wired to the router, what speed do you get? And what are you paying for?

jonathanb987

Reputable
Jun 11, 2014

Yes, the new modem/router is very crappy. Enough so that I'd rather not connect to it. Besides, for some reason it is only letting me connect to major websites (Yahoo, google, MSN). The modem/router was given to us, I believe it was given to us for free because of xfinity's new wifi coverage.

USAFRet

Titan

Routers do not do that, unless there is some reversible setting in there. They do not restrict connections to only those major sites.

jonathanb987

Reputable
Jun 11, 2014

It only happens for my pc but it is fine for everyone else.

Anyway, let's get to the point. I need to have this solved very soon. Hence the URGENT title.

USAFRet

Titan

Well then...It would seem to not be a crappy router, but something within your PC !

jonathanb987

Reputable
Jun 11, 2014

I understand. Still, the speed of it is really bad, which I know for a fact. So about the DMZ... Would I get assigning the DMZ to 192.168.1.1?

USAFRet

Titan

Since everything still flows through this 'crappy' modem/router, the DMZ concept may not actually fix anything.
Can you post a screencap of what happens at speedtest.net?

jonathanb987

Reputable
Jun 11, 2014

9YYHas8.png