Question Double Trouble HDMI problem Monitor or Graphics Card

thai_rat

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2009
I have 2 windows 10 desktop computers, both have Nvidia graphics cards and Dell and Acer monitors.

Hardware

Computer 1 has 2 monitors
Dell Monitor 1 has HDMI1 HDMI 2, VGA​
Dell Monitor 2 has VGA, DVI works using DVI​
Nvidia GTX 1050 has 1 HDMI-2b, 1 DVI-D, Native DisplayPort 1.4​
DUAL-GTX1050TI-O4G-V2 power requirement
Computer 2 has 1 monitor
Acer Monitor has VGA, 2- HDMI​
Nvidia GTX 750 Ti has DVI-D, DVI-I, 2 HDMI 400 watt required​

Both monitors were working using HDMI cables, but now neither work when using an HDMI cable.

Computer 1

Dell monitor 1 does not work using HDMI
The Dell monitor 2 works using DVI output (GTX1050) out of the graphics card and DVI into Dell monitor2

BUT the HDMI out of the (GTX 1050) into the HDMI on Dell monitor 1 no signal, worked 2 days ago.

Computer 2

Acer works using DVI out (GTX 750Ti) to a VGA gender bender, with a VGA cable into Acer monitor , this works.
but HDMI out into the (HDMI in) on the Acer monitor has no signal.

These these 2 systems have been rebuilt new CPU upgrades, and motherboards, the HDMI worked on both computers 1 week ago.

I assumed it was the cable but 3 HDMI cables same behavior.

Note when I used a DVI to HDMI gender bender so using HDMI cable input I briefly had a signal and loading widows but screen when black before login screen appeared. Indicating not the cable.

Im beginning to wonder if my PSU’s arent powerful enough.
Does it take more power to run HDMI cables/ports, reading on Toms VGA require more power than HDMI or DVI so doesnt seem a factor.

Help appreciated

Last edited:

thai_rat

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2009
Plugging the Dell monitor 1, into vga out on the Nvidia 750Ti via a DVI to VGA gender bender, the Dell monitor works.

It appears to be associated with either the grphics cards HDMI output or the monitor HDMI input.
How to tell which?

Very funny that both Nvidia graphic cards the HDMI doesnt work.