Double VPN question

robbiecee2

Honorable
Oct 31, 2012
When I'm at university I have to connect via a VPN to access the Internet, if I used hotspot shield to connect to another VPN would this grant anonymity or would the university still be able to see my data?
They don't allow p2p etc.

john-b691

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
Good news is that if you can get it to work all they will see is encrypted traffic.

Bad news vpn inside of vpn is a huge pain to make work.

The only way to really get this to work is to run 2 totally different forms of VPN. The easiest to make work is if the college runs IPSEC for its VPN then you should be able to run SSLVPN. If they use SSLVPN you are going to have a tough time. You will then need to run a port forwarding VPN like SSH. Since p2p stuff like to use random ports it will be tricky to setup the port forwarding.

A couple if hints. IPSEC need to use protocol 50 and UDP port 500 OR udp 4500 in natt mode. PPTP uses protocol 47 (gre) and is not encrypted. SSl uses TCP 443 and SSH uses tcp 22. You need to see what combination and ports you can pass though the other VPN.

SSLVPN tends to be the most tricky because it dynamically load via activex in most clients so it is hard find where it is inserting itself in the network stack in the machine.

robbiecee2

Honorable
Oct 31, 2012
The uni only has certain ports open, I have tried hotspot shield and it works but I don't think it encrypts p2p traffic, does it?