doubleclicking on folders in the start menu

doubleclicking on folders in the start menu brings up the "move items" dialog
box. i cancel it and it comes up again. after i cancel it a second time the
folder appears (like it is supposed to).

any help?

Malke

spudly wrote:

> doubleclicking on folders in the start menu brings up the "move items"
> dialog box. i cancel it and it comes up again. after i cancel it a
> second time the folder appears (like it is supposed to).
>
> any help?

Items (which are really shortcuts) in the Start Menu only need to be
clicked on once to start. Try doing that instead.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

you misunderstand me. in the start menu there are shortcuts and folders... i
dont have a problem with the shortcuts. they work fine. in order to edit the
contents of one of the folders (i.e. the startup folder) you have to
doubleclick on the folder. this brings up an explorer window with that folder
open.

the problem is this: when i doubleclick on a folder to open it, the "move
items" dialogue box pops up. if i click cancel it pops up again. the second
time i click cancel it opens the folder like it is supposed to.

p.s. im willing to bet it's a registry thing

"Malke" wrote:

> spudly wrote:
>
> > doubleclicking on folders in the start menu brings up the "move items"
> > dialog box. i cancel it and it comes up again. after i cancel it a
> > second time the folder appears (like it is supposed to).
> >
> > any help?
>
> Items (which are really shortcuts) in the Start Menu only need to be
> clicked on once to start. Try doing that instead.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

danr

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2003

Folder is being "moved" during the act of doubleclick. Hold mouse steady or
right click & "open"

Dan
"spudly" <spudly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> you misunderstand me. in the start menu there are shortcuts and folders...
> dont have a problem with the shortcuts. they work fine. in order to edit
> the
> contents of one of the folders (i.e. the startup folder) you have to
> doubleclick on the folder. this brings up an explorer window with that
> folder
> open.
>
> the problem is this: when i doubleclick on a folder to open it, the "move
> items" dialogue box pops up. if i click cancel it pops up again. the
> second
> time i click cancel it opens the folder like it is supposed to.
>
> p.s. im willing to bet it's a registry thing
>
> "Malke" wrote:
>
>> spudly wrote:
>>
>> > doubleclicking on folders in the start menu brings up the "move items"
>> > dialog box. i cancel it and it comes up again. after i cancel it a
>> > second time the folder appears (like it is supposed to).
>> >
>> > any help?
>>
>> Items (which are really shortcuts) in the Start Menu only need to be
>> clicked on once to start. Try doing that instead.
>>
>> Malke
>> --
>> Elephant Boy Computers
>> www.elephantboycomputers.com
>> "Don't Panic!"
>> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

give me a break guys, i'm not an idiot. i know what i'm doing.

my mouse is steady...

if i rightclick and select open the same thing happens. the move items
dialogue box comes up twice before it decides to open the folder

"DanR" wrote:

> Folder is being "moved" during the act of doubleclick. Hold mouse steady or
> right click & "open"
>
> Dan
> "spudly" <spudly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > you misunderstand me. in the start menu there are shortcuts and folders...
> > dont have a problem with the shortcuts. they work fine. in order to edit
> > the
> > contents of one of the folders (i.e. the startup folder) you have to
> > doubleclick on the folder. this brings up an explorer window with that
> > folder
> > open.
> >
> > the problem is this: when i doubleclick on a folder to open it, the "move
> > items" dialogue box pops up. if i click cancel it pops up again. the
> > second
> > time i click cancel it opens the folder like it is supposed to.
> >
> > p.s. im willing to bet it's a registry thing

> >> Items (which are really shortcuts) in the Start Menu only need to be
> >> clicked on once to start. Try doing that instead.
> >>
> >> Malke
> >> --
> >> Elephant Boy Computers
> >> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> >> "Don't Panic!"
> >> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

kelly

Hi,

This depends on how much you like to use the Move To and Copy To. If more
than not, live with the annoyance. If not, remove it from running the undo
on line 45:

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

In memory of those lost during Katrina &
Prayers and Hope for the remaining displaced.

> doubleclicking on folders in the start menu brings up the "move items"
> dialog
> box. i cancel it and it comes up again. after i cancel it a second time
> the
> folder appears (like it is supposed to).
>
> any help?

Hello Kelly and welcome back. Glad and happy and relieved that is all I can say.

--
Peter

"Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote in message news:OEZcMvdtFHA.908@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
>
> This depends on how much you like to use the Move To and Copy To. If more
> than not, live with the annoyance. If not, remove it from running the undo
> on line 45:

> All the Best,
> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>
> Troubleshooting Windows XP
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>
> In memory of those lost during Katrina &
> Prayers and Hope for the remaining displaced.
>

> "spudly" <spudly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> doubleclicking on folders in the start menu brings up the "move items"
>> dialog
>> box. i cancel it and it comes up again. after i cancel it a second time
>> the
>> folder appears (like it is supposed to).
>>
>> any help?

Kelly <kelly@mvps.org> wrote:

Hi there Lady Kelly and welcome back!

> This depends on how much you like to use the Move To and Copy To. If
> more than not, live with the annoyance.

ACK. The "Move To" and "Copy To" context menu enrichment will cause more
problems than offering any benefits.

> If not, remove it from running the undo on line 45:

If the OP will stick to this feature, he should run run this "Undo"
anyway since these items (Move To and Copy To) can be added to the
Explorer's toolbar as well (customize). AFAIR, this is by default
possible since Windows Me.

--
d-d

Remove the "Move To" service.

Problem caused by adding Copy To and Move To as context menu entries:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/movetocontext.htm

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User