Doubt about intel hd and dedicated graphics usability

Sagar_20

Distinguished
So my friend recently bought a budget gaming laptop called Acer aspire 5. I installed cpu-z in their laptop and now when i go to the graphics section the app displays both intel hd graphics and nvidia 150 mx graphics. While on my desktop intel hd graphics are disabled and cpu-z only displays the dedicated graphics. What does this mean? Can that laptop use both the graphics?

Solution
What happens is that windows will use the integrated Intel graphics for most tasks that are not graphic intensive, in order to conserve power and make the battery last longer. The Nvidia gpu is used when it is needed for more graphic intensive tasks.
So, ultimately, yes, he is using both, just not on the same workloads or at the same time.

Jesse_20

Distinguished
What happens is that windows will use the integrated Intel graphics for most tasks that are not graphic intensive, in order to conserve power and make the battery last longer. The Nvidia gpu is used when it is needed for more graphic intensive tasks.
So, ultimately, yes, he is using both, just not on the same workloads or at the same time.

Solution

kraelic

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2006
It should be using both automatically, in optimus mode. The intel IGP is doing the desktop and the 150 mx should activate for 3d intensive tasks rendering the heavy graphics and then transferring the processed image to the IGP frame buffer for display to the screen.

right click the desktop, left click nvidia control panel, left click manage 3d settings and choose high performance nvidia processor under preferred graphics processor.