Doubt about internet speed zones and Cat7 cables. (Renting an apartment)

GermanyInternet

Commendable
Feb 11, 2017
Hey, i'm moving to Germany in the next month and i've been looking for apartments, checking the internet speed options i could get, and i work from home so internet is a really important thing for me. I've been looking for an apartment that fits everything i need and the internet speed limit on that zone is 16Mbps (DSL) but the apartment has CAT7 cables and for what i've seen CAT7 cables support 10 gigabit Ethernet, does this mean that, although the zone is limited to 16Mbps i can get a better option like the 100Mbps on the apartment?

I really don't know much about internet and i don't have much time, if anyone could help me it would be amazing. Thanks.

TL;DR: can i get a better internet option in a zone with a limit of 16Mbps (DSL) if the apartment has CAT7 cables?

You are limited to whatever speeds the ISP in the area has available. Perhaps the apartment complex uses a high speed Fiber Optic or Metro Ethernet business solution and shares it with the units. You'd have to find out from the complex.

Having CAT 7 just means they had the wiring done recently. They went with whatever was the best reasonably priced option available so they could wait as long as possible before doing so again.

What Internet speed available is only known to the locals, you have to talk to somebody local.

CAT7 only means you have a 10-cars garage, still have to wait for the city to provide you with a 10-lane road, if they don't at the moment well, when they do, you are ready!