[SOLVED] Doubt about Ryzen 7 3700x voltages.

Oct 28, 2020
Hi guys i want to understand how should i set up my Ryzen 3700x.
My conf is:
MSI CARBON x570 wi fi
32gb tridentz G.Skill 3600cl17
GTX 1070ti
Ryzen 3700x
Scythe Fuma 2 as cpu cooler
Seasonic 520w m12II modular

The problem is, after running my old i5 4690k at 4,7ghz oc with only 1.35v+-
this voltages scares me. my main usage is gaming, rendering 3ds max, zbrush, Blender so i need hi load stable bios setup with wright voltages safe for cpu.

1st conf was PBO auto with offset 0.1v and my system were running up to 1.487v on load while load on cores was up to VID 1.5v and thats why i've started tweaking bios, but after reading amd post here i get its kinda wierd but its normal.
also cinebench was running only at 4172-4200mhz depending on voltage offset while in gaming its went 4.4ghz and i get few blue screens i think thats due to undervoltages + high offset + LLC 3 just because i didn't knew about voltages.

2nd conf was all core 43.5 multiplier to 4.350 Ghz and i set suggested by guide on overclockers site 1.375 while HW info in windows showed me voltages above 1.42v constant even with low LLC 4 level. The wierd thing was that VID voltage on each core was 1.1v constant. Then my mind was blowing
this rig live their own life and most of conf in bios os just usless due to buildzoid explanation (ex PPT...)

3rd conf now i'm running on all core 43 multiplier 4299 mhz at 1.325v soc "low current idle", "c-state enabled" LLC 3 neutral and i get 1.344v constant but my problem now is VID voltages on all cores stays at 1.387v constant i mean after 1.1v that's very wierd.

anyway with last i got hieghest cinebench score close to 2nd conf i did, around 5k points and at high load.

The cooler managing great in cinebench 20 my temps went up to 75 only till fans get faster so i get 71-73 celsius on load.

Sorry for my English i hope u will understand my question.

Last edited:
Solution
Thank you for answer, i switched back to pbo now i see voltages is ok but performance in cinebench is kinda wierd 4047 all core while in game 4.4
Also...for PBO to work best be sure system is set up right. Update to the latest BIOS for your board. Install the AMD chipset drivers and get them from the AMD support web site to make sure they're the latest. Run the Ryzen Balanced power plan and don't make changes.

In BIOS set all of the following to enabled:
AMD Cool n Quiet
Advanced C States
Processor CPPC
CPPC Preferred Cores.

In the PBO section, set it to MANUAL and change the following: PPT = 333, TDC and EDC = 230.

Make sure both VCore and CPU clocks are in AUTO. After getting some bench mark to baseline you can try...
Hi guys i want to understand how should i set up my Ryzen 3700x.
My conf is:
MSI CARBON x570 wi fi
32gb tridentz G.Skill 3600cl17
GTX 1070ti
Ryzen 3700x
Scythe Fuma 2 as cpu cooler
Seasonic 520w m12II modular

The problem is, after running my old i5 4690k at 4,7ghz oc with only 1.35v+-
this voltages scares me. my main usage is gaming, rendering 3ds max, zbrush, Blender so i need hi load stable bios setup with wright voltages safe for cpu.

1st conf was PBO auto with offset 0.1v and my system were running up to 1.487v on load while load on cores was up to VID 1.5v and thats why i've started tweaking bios, but after reading amd post here i get its kinda wierd but its normal.
also cinebench was running only at 4172-4200mhz depending on voltage offset while in gaming its went 4.4ghz and i get few blue screens i think thats due to undervoltages + high offset + LLC 3 just because i didn't knew about voltages.

2nd conf was all core 43.5 multiplier to 4.350 Ghz and i set suggested by guide on overclockers site 1.375 while HW info in windows showed me voltages above 1.42v constant even with low LLC 4 level. The wierd thing was that VID voltage on each core was 1.1v constant. Then my mind was blowing
this rig live their own life and most of conf in bios os just usless due to buildzoid explanation (ex PPT...)

3rd conf now i'm running on all core 43 multiplier 4299 mhz at 1.325v soc "low current idle", "c-state enabled" LLC 3 neutral and i get 1.344v constant but my problem now is VID voltages on all cores stays at 1.387v constant i mean after 1.1v that's very wierd.

anyway with last i got hieghest cinebench score close to 2nd conf i did, around 5k points and at high load.

The cooler managing great in cinebench 20 my temps went up to 75 only till fans get faster so i get 71-73 celsius on load.

Sorry for my English i hope u will understand my question.
Be aware that while Ryzen can be manually overclocked it doesn't do it very well as the boost algorithm gets pretty much all that the silicon is able to deliver.

Also be aware that many serious overclockers have degraded their processor operating at voltages even lower than what you are experimenting with. If you don't mind risking that then keep it up. The highest voltage recommended for Ryzen 3000 is 1.225V (SVI2 TFN) for a fixed all-core overclock if you don't first determine what the FIT voltage is for your processor.

Ryzen can easily handle much higher voltage, but only for lighter processing loads and for very short durations which the boosting algorithm can control when everything's left in Auto. When in auto, it is normal to spike as high as 1.5V when it boosts a single core on lightly threaded workloads. It's normal and safe because it's very short duration to process that load very fast and return to C6 deep sleep. I just ignore VID. The thing to pay attention to is SVI2 TFN voltage.

The safest way to overclock is with PBO, which is also the method most likely to get best all-around performance in benches. Using a safe voltage means using a low fixed clock for stability that hurts single thread performance (compared to PBO) which is most important for gaming. Some people with really good cooling, excellent motherboard VRM, and CPU silicon can get similar or slight loss of ST performance but it will take some testing to get there and frequently a loss of stability in extremely heavy AVX workloads.

Last edited:
Reactions: kurdtnz and Vadson
Oct 28, 2020
Be aware that while Ryzen can be manually overclocked it doesn't do it very well as the boost algorithm gets pretty much all that the silicon is able to deliver.

Also be aware that serious overclockers have degraded their processor operating at voltages even lower than what you are experimenting with. If you don't mind risking that then keep it up.

The highest voltage recommended for Ryzen 3000 is 1.225V (SVI2 TFN) for a fixed all-core overclock if you don't first determine what the FIT voltage is for your processor. Ryzen can easily handle much higher voltage, but only for lighter processing loads and for very short durations which the boosting algorithm can control when everything's left in Auto.

When in auto, it is normal to spike as high as 1.5V when it boosts a single core on lightly threaded workloads. It's normal and safe because it's very short duration to process that load very fast and return to C6 deep sleep. I just ignore VID. The thing to pay attention to is SVI2 TFN voltage.

The safest way to overclock is with PBO, which is also the method most likely to get best all-around performance in benches. Using a safe voltage means using a low fixed clock for stability that hurts single thread performance (compared to PBO) which is most important for gaming. Some people with really good cooling, excellent motherboard VRM, and CPU silicon can get similar or slight loss of ST performance but it takes a lot of testing to get there.
Thank you for answer, i switched back to pbo now i see voltages is ok but performance in cinebench is kinda wierd 4047 all core while in game 4.4

What you're seeing is pretty normal. You can't look at clocks as a measure of performance. The reason is the boost algorithm is constantly changing clocks, all the way from 3.6G(less actually) to max boost clocks, up to 100 times per second, based on thermal headroom and what the processing load is. Instead you have to use a benchmark program...the best one is Cinebench 20. Look at both multi-thread and single thread benches.

Last edited:
Also...for PBO to work best be sure system is set up right. Update to the latest BIOS for your board. Install the AMD chipset drivers and get them from the AMD support web site to make sure they're the latest. Run the Ryzen Balanced power plan and don't make changes.

AMD Cool n Quiet
Advanced C States
Processor CPPC
CPPC Preferred Cores.

In the PBO section, set it to MANUAL and change the following: PPT = 333, TDC and EDC = 230.

Make sure both VCore and CPU clocks are in AUTO. After getting some bench mark to baseline you can try lowering VCore a bit, but use ONLY Offset adjustment to do that. If you go too far it can affect stability or single thread performance.

And lastly: get better than the stock cooler. The algorithm pulls back boost clocks as the processor gets hot and PBO will make the processor run especially hot, so better cooling makes it work even better. Ideally, you want it to never go above mid-upper 70C range in heavy workloads although it is safe going as high as 95C (Tjmax).

good luck.

Last edited:
Solution
Oct 28, 2020

AMD Cool n Quiet
Advanced C States
Processor CPPC
CPPC Preferred Cores.

Make sure both VCore and CPU clocks are in AUTO. After getting some bench mark to baseline you can try lowering VCore a bit, but use ONLY Offset adjustment to do that. If you go too far it can affect stability or single thread performance.

And lastly: get better than the stock cooler. The algorithm pulls back boost clocks as the processor gets hot and PBO will make the processor run especially hot, so better cooling makes it work even better. Ideally, you want it to never go above mid-upper 70C range in heavy workloads although it is safe going as high as 95C (Tjmax).

good luck.

еnabling c state for pbo and cppc gives me error. so i should reset bios.
yes loaded lastest bios and chipset last week.