Question Doubt with motherboard/psu compatibility

chriswa2002

Honorable
Feb 24, 2017
Hey, so im moving my pc to another motherboard and case. (i bought a prebuilt and upgraded it, it still has the stock psu and i wanna change it)
Im planning to buy a B450m motherboard and an Antec NX200 M case,
So the build will be:
B450m motherboard
1660super
ryzen 5 4600g
16gb vengeance ram 3200mhz
m.2/ssd/hdd
600watt evga psu

But now im unsure because someone in reddit told me:
"that motherboard uses a non-standard form factor and proprietary power connectors. You can't replace the PSU or the motherboard."

What does he mean? Can i not use that motherboard or is it incompatible with the psu that i want to put in???

https://www.antec.com/product/case/nx200m

Antec says your case supports micro ATX boards; and PSUs up to 150 mm in length; and coolers up to 150 mm tall.

I'd certainly think an ordinary Gigabyte micro ATX board would be fine.

But your original power supply may be an issue. I don't know. If you are satisfied by the videos you've seen that it won't be a problem, go ahead. Problems would be related to the connectors and the external dimensions. HP does strange stuff.

The case is only 14 inches deep and 15 inches tall; so I'd expect stuff to be cramped to some degree.

What will work with your old case and motherboard no longer matters. You need to concentrate on an Antec case, a Gigabyte micro ATX motherboard, and your existing power supply.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
That Evga 600w should be aftermarket standard psu. I've never heard of Evga making anything other than a standard aftermarket atx psu.

If there's any proprietary connections between the psu and HP motherboard, it'll be by adapter.

The Gigabyte is standard aftermarket motherboard, should have zero issues with direct connections, won't need any adapters.