Question Doubts concerning leakage of CR2032 battery ?

cloudff7ps1

Reputable
Sep 3, 2020
CR2032 battery mounted on electronic board and stored does it run the risk of leaking at some point even after discharging and ruining the board through some corrosive compound that it releases?

kanewolf

Titan
CR2032 battery mounted on electronic board and stored does it run the risk of leaking at some point even after discharging and running the board through some corrosive compound that it releases?
If you do a google image search you can see examples of CR2023 batteries that have leaked. Seems like a problem in some SNES cartridges. It is a question of how many years you choose to ignore a device with a battery. 10 years? 20 years? or 2 years?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's a battery. It's going to leak. Period. That's an indisputable fact. The only thing in question is When. The only answer to that is nobody knows. Batteries leak while in use, batteries leak while being stored, batteries leak while being abused, overheated, overcharged, aged, subjected to environmental conditions outside of normal operating parameters.

And it doesn't matter if it's a CR2032, AA, AAA, C, D, gel, lead acid, NiCad, Li-ion, or a couple of hard to aquire cell phone batteries.

Reactions: landyvlad

worstalentscout

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2016
Well you would want to remove it anytime you know you won't use the device for a long time, if you use the device all the time you will know when to replace it because it won't do its job anymore due to low power.

i understand that if the desktop is put to sleep, the motherboard is using the PSU's power and not using the battery's power but what if the desktop is shut down but the PSU is still powered on - will the motherboard receive power from the PSU or will it be using power from the battery ?:??:

funny thing is i had a 10-year-old Acer desktop and the original battery didn't leak...............when the battery power went out - i just need to adjust the time and everything worked okay................so looks like the battery is only for keeping time nowadays ? :??:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Psus are Always on, unless you hit the kill switch in the back, or unplug them. When you 'shut down' the pc, you really don't. All you do is turn off the OS, the psu is put into Standby mode, the motherboard is still powered, USB still has power etc. Bios still gets powered by the psu. The battery doesn't kick in until the psu is shut down/unplugged. The Only thing the battery powers is the bios, because the bios chip is exactly like ram, if it looses power, it looses data.

The bios is in 2 parts, half of it is firmware, hard coded by bios updates, that contain all the default settings and instructions that is permanent, the other half is the list of stuff and settings. That's the part the battery keeps alive. It includes a clock/calendar.
cr2032 has liquid acid inside them why do they leak?
Because Acid is corrosive, it's normally pretty safe but when it gets old or overcharged etc it's chemical composition changes, gets ionized and the acid goes from harmless to harmful and eats away at the seals.

i understand that if the desktop is put to sleep, the motherboard is using the PSU's power and not using the battery's power but what if the desktop is shut down but the PSU is still powered on - will the motherboard receive power from the PSU or will it be using power from the battery ?:??:

funny thing is i had a 10-year-old Acer desktop and the original battery didn't leak...............when the battery power went out - i just need to adjust the time and everything worked okay................so looks like the battery is only for keeping time nowadays ? :??:
The battery on mobos is only to keep the bios settings that you change, that was this way since always. If the battery runs out the bios will run with the default settings and if the only thing that bothers you is the time then that's the only thing you need to change, if you were booting from something other than the first port on the mobo you would have to use the boot menu every time.

worstalentscout

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2016
The battery on mobos is only to keep the bios settings that you change, that was this way since always. If the battery runs out the bios will run with the default settings and if the only thing that bothers you is the time then that's the only thing you need to change, if you were booting from something other than the first port on the mobo you would have to use the boot menu every time.

i just realize the guy that fixed up my pc connected my boot drive to the 3rd SATA port............so can i just put my pc to sleep..........and then just swap the SATA data cable ? :??:

so I will have to open them all and unsolder the cr2032 that will leak and corrode in the future?

no need to.............my old pc was 9 years old and i left the long dead battery in.............never leak at all........

Bazzy 505

Respectable
Jul 17, 2021
so I will have to open them all and unsolder the cr2032 that will leak and corrode in the future?

CR2032 is Lithium Manganese Dioxide chemistry battery, not containing acidic electrolytes and not prone to leaking.
If it comes from reputable brand, you can leave it in a device for decades with no risk of damage. Having said that there
have been more than a few gas station knockoffs in the early wild years from "over there" that claimed to be CR2032 and used very different
chemistry altogether.

Reactions: Karadjgne

cloudff7ps1

Reputable
Sep 3, 2020
I saw these pictures on the internet, what chemical compound cr2032?

6389998783_89cc14346a_z.jpg

post-20973-0-52047300-1304181645.jpg

Acorn+Archimedes+A3000+Battery+Damage.jpg

images

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
and not prone to leaking.
If it comes from reputable brand,
Magic words, but nowadays, everyone makes those batteries, eBay is full of them, shipped from China, for $4 for 20 count etc. And that's where ppl like Dollar General, Dollar Tree and all the other 'Dollar' type bargain hunt stores get their uber cheap batteries from. Why spend $6 at Home Depot for 1x Energizer Eco or Duracell extended life, when you can get a 2-pack from Dollar Tree for 99¢