Question Doubts in game lan

Santiago Andrea

Prominent
Mar 4, 2022
Hi, I'm about to set up a small "gaming lan" or "ciber gaming", Gigabit Ethernet CAT6 cable. (15 Clients)
The question is about what type of router or switch I should choose.
I must set it with priority for the games and then for the browser. The idea is that the games do not have LAG.
Many speak of the Mikrotik Routers, others of routers with gaming ports.
Has someone done it? I need you to comment on your experience and leave me some tips.
Thank you so much

kanewolf

Titan
Hi, I'm about to set up a small "gaming lan" or "ciber gaming", Gigabit Ethernet CAT6 cable. (15 Clients)
The question is about what type of router or switch I should choose.
I must set it with priority for the games and then for the browser. The idea is that the games do not have LAG.
Many speak of the Mikrotik Routers, others of routers with gaming ports.
Has someone done it? I need you to comment on your experience and leave me some tips.
Thank you so much
Are you hosting local or only using internet servers?

So do you have the game server in your building or all the machine connecting to a server on the internet.

In either case you just need simple unmanaged switches. The switch will never be the bottleneck.

If the server is on the internet you are going to need a router that has QoS on it. Problem is your connection speed is so high that the CPU on most consumer routers can not keep up. Running the software to do QoS put a lot of load on the cpu.

The online games themselves use very little. Maybe 1mbps for each device. Web surfing is very low traffic rates also. Maybe 10mbps or so depending on the site. Things like netflix even at 4k is only using 25mbps so you could have a couple users doing that with no issues.

The main thing that would kill your connection is the download of the games themselves or patches to the games.

The big problem is finding a router with enough cpu capacity. You might be better off buying a dual nic pc and loading linux routers images.

Reactions: Santiago Andrea
Are you opening a small internet cafe type of business? I see them in Kdramas, would be cool to see those types of gaming cafe's here in the U.S.

Or is it just for your friends to have what we called back in the day a "LAN PARTY." ??? My friend used to host LAN parties during college when most people still had 56k dial up connections. We would bring in our desktop computers and played huge games of battlefield 1942 and the original counter strike with about 100 people in the room. We had tons of red bull and pizza, fun times in college. He charged $30 per head and rented out a conference hall for " IT club activity" for almost nothing. He made a living off of it.

If running a business. I would build/buy an x86 PC that has 2 intel ethernet adapters built into it. Then load OpenWRT or similar firmware onto it and run CAKE QOS which is a true traffic shaping QOS. That'll help manage network traffic and bandwidth through the WAN to ensure the least amount of lag possible. Then use whatever network switch you want for your computers.

Zimaboard is a new x86 SBC designed for this. I'll probably start recommending these once they release and final performance figures come out. If they can traffic shape 1gigabit connections, I'll start recommending them to gamers. https://www.zimaboard.com/zimaboard/applications/hardware_router No need for quad core because the QOS algorithms are single threaded. Dual core $120 would be fine and the higher priced models might not see a benefit other than RAM when it comes to router use.

Reactions: Santiago Andrea