[SOLVED] Down arrows in start menu

teris

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
I recently installed Windows 10 Pro and I just noticed that I have several down arrows in the boxes in the start menu rather than programs. Is there a fix to this? I did delete several programs, like One Drive and the online version of Office, so I'm wondering if that's what's causing it. Thanks for your help!

Solution
It may

What I would do is download the media creation tool on another PC and use it to make an Installer.
Main reason to use another PC is its windows update might not be playing up.
Main reason to create USB is it saves downloading it more than once if update fails.

Now once USB created, put it in the PC you want to update
open file explorer (win +e key)
navigate to the usb and run setup.exe
this will offer to upgrade current PC.
accept and follow wizard.
Down arrows in the start menu means that those programs has an update waiting to be installed.

Do your Windows Updates and Microsoft Store Apps updates.

Or you're talking about the down arrows that open each program tab to show the executable?

teris

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
Down arrows in the start menu means that those programs has an update waiting to be installed.

Do your Windows Updates and Microsoft Store Apps updates.

Okay, thanks. Should I just leave it on and connected to the internet so it will download the programs? I just tried to do an update and I get an error message (0x80070002).

teris

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
I ran that FSC /scannow command and got this:

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.
For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at
windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline
repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag.

Am I supposed to delete one of those files from my PC? Thanks for the help!

I ran that FSC /scannow command and got this:

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.
For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at
windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline
repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag.

Am I supposed to delete one of those files from my PC? Thanks for the help!

Try this below.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them
If you receive this message and the System File Checker is not able to do its job when you run it, here are a few things you can try.

1] Run SFC in Safe Mode
Boot into Safe Mode. Open an elevated command prompt windows, type sfc/scannow and hit Enter. (You might have to try this up to 3 times to fix everyting)
Just make sure that the PendingDeletes and PendingRenames folders exist under %WinDir%\WinSxS\Temp. This may help if some start-up programs are creating a problem.

2] Run SFC at Boot Time
If you wish to or need to, you may run System File Checker at Boot Time. This is one option that may help you as it will run System File Checker before Windows loads.

Go here to learn how to run sfc /scannow at Boot Time. See if this helps.

3] Use DISM
Use DISM. Open an elevated command prompt and run the following command and hit Enter:
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
This command checks for component store corruption, records the corruption and FIXES the corruption. It may take a while though! Useful if System File Checker is not working.

Colif

Win 11 Master
did you run sfc after dism?
sfc corrects system files (hence its name, system file checker)
dism looks after the image files that sfc uses to compare/fix system files, so since you had files it couldn't fix before running dism, it should be able to fix them the second time.

teris

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
did you run sfc after dism?
sfc corrects system files (hence its name, system file checker)
dism looks after the image files that sfc uses to compare/fix system files, so since you had files it couldn't fix before running dism, it should be able to fix them the second time.

First, I ran the FSC as instructed above and found corrupted files. I subsequently ran those three commands in the order listed above, which included sfc after dism.

Colif

Win 11 Master
It may

What I would do is download the media creation tool on another PC and use it to make an Installer.
Main reason to use another PC is its windows update might not be playing up.
Main reason to create USB is it saves downloading it more than once if update fails.

Now once USB created, put it in the PC you want to update
open file explorer (win +e key)
navigate to the usb and run setup.exe
this will offer to upgrade current PC.
accept and follow wizard.

Solution