[SOLVED] down function not working on keyboard

Jun 16, 2021
The down arrow key, numpad down arrow key both do not work. They show up working on, but the function "down" never works, I even tried rebinding the key and it still shows I'm pressing it but it doesn't do the function. Even the onscreen keyboard doesn't work.

I've tried updating/reinstalling the keyboard drivers, and various other things but nothing seems to work. The key does what its meant to in the bios.

Another then on sites like keyboardtester the key is shown being pressed but it doesn't make the sound like other keys which I don't know why.

Last edited:
Solution
Hi, welcome to the forums!

Does the down key work in Safe Mode? If so, the issue is either 3rd party software, or a 3rd party driver.

I expect that it will work in Safe Mode. And if so, the next step would be to see if the issue is 3rd party software by trying a Clean Boot. A "clean boot" is where you boot Windows up without any 3rd party services or apps starting up automatically. You will disable all 3rd party startup apps in Task Manager, and all 3rd party services in System Configuration (msconfig.exe). 3rd party means all non-Microsoft applications. Do not disable any Microsoft applications or services. It's very important that in step 1 you check the box labeled "Hide all Microsoft...

gardenman

Splendid

Does the down key work in Safe Mode? If so, the issue is either 3rd party software, or a 3rd party driver.

I expect that it will work in Safe Mode. And if so, the next step would be to see if the issue is 3rd party software by trying a Clean Boot. A "clean boot" is where you boot Windows up without any 3rd party services or apps starting up automatically. You will disable all 3rd party startup apps in Task Manager, and all 3rd party services in System Configuration (msconfig.exe). 3rd party means all non-Microsoft applications. Do not disable any Microsoft applications or services. It's very important that in step 1 you check the box labeled "Hide all Microsoft services". Full instruction can be found here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-windows-da2f9573-6eec-00ad-2f8a-a97a1807f3dd

If the issue goes away while doing the clean boot, then the issue was one of the programs or services that you disabled. Re-enable a few at a time until you find the culprit. This will take several reboots.

If you still have the issue during the clean boot, then it's likely the culprit is a 3rd party driver. That can make things difficult to track down.

Solution
Jun 16, 2021

I expect that it will work in Safe Mode. And if so, the next step would be to see if the issue is 3rd party software by trying a Clean Boot. A "clean boot" is where you boot Windows up without any 3rd party services or apps starting up automatically. You will disable all 3rd party startup apps in Task Manager, and all 3rd party services in System Configuration (msconfig.exe). 3rd party means all non-Microsoft applications. Do not disable any Microsoft applications or services. It's very important that in step 1 you check the box labeled "Hide all Microsoft services". Full instruction can be found here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-windows-da2f9573-6eec-00ad-2f8a-a97a1807f3dd

If the issue goes away while doing the clean boot, then the issue was one of the programs or services that you disabled. Re-enable a few at a time until you find the culprit. This will take several reboots.

If you still have the issue during the clean boot, then it's likely the culprit is a 3rd party driver. That can make things difficult to track down.
Thanks, When i tried to do that earlier i forgot to apply the changes in system config. Now all i have to do is find out which one it is...