Dec 9, 2017
Hello everyone,

About 8 months ago, I built my first desktop, the specs are below:

Mobo: ASUS M5A78L-m
cpu: AMD FX 4350
gpu: EVGA geforce gtx 1050
psu: antec 750W
hard drive: WD 1 TB 7200 RPM

Anyway, to the point. I admit there are many beginner mistakes I made with this build, including the massive gap between gpu quality and the rest of the build. So, I've decided to downsize a bit. I'm thinking about selling my gtx 1050 and buying a more reasonable gtx 650 ti or something of the same level. I only need the card for 3D modeling, dual monitor support, and light gaming from time to time. I do not game frequently. I bought the 1050 for $100 and that's just about what I'd sell it for now, as new ones go for $160+. I wanted to get a few other opinions before I jump the gun though. Is it worth it to correct the massive performance gap? Or buyout while there's still a decent market?

Thanks,
Nick

nick_hags

Prominent
Dec 9, 2017

Yeah, I just did a quick newegg search through graphics cards with at least 2GB memory and under $100 and the results were sparse. A few GT 710's, an r5 here or there. Is there any harm to keeping a graphics card like that on an older motherboard like mine? Also, my monitors need a DVI and VGA input, so I'm going to be using an HDMI-VGA active adapter. Any problems with that?