[SOLVED] Downclocking CPU ?

.valkyrie.

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018
hi
i got asus fx505 with intel Cpu i5 9300h
its a 45w cpu....

sometimes i really dont need the Cpu power and i want a better battery life and No fan spin.(right now its around 7 hour on low brightness)

i used intelXTU and undervolte Cpu by -0.145 , it helped but not that much....
is there any way to lower TDP like ryzen mobiles? like ryzen 4800h that we can lower its tdp to 12W ?

Solution
Some Intel cpu's have a variable TDP, some do not. All depends on the specific laptop model.

Best way to conserve battery life is with a desktop laptop cooler, the hotter the battery gets while discharging, the lower the size of the charge. Heat creates resistance, and the battery draw in amps becomes larger to overcome the resistance and maintain voltages, which creates more heat.

So use the laptop on a solid surface and allow airflow to reach the underside of the laptop. Insulating it with sitting in your lap, on blankets etc just multiplies the heat contained and makes things worse.

.valkyrie.

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018
I'm being serious. Setting the power plan to Power Saver tends to make the CPUs go to their lowest active power states. You don't have to muck with XTU or anything.

You can't exactly have your cake and eat it too in this scenario.
setting it to power saver was the 1st thing i did.
also limited cpu to 19% and etc etc...

but when i saw my friend laptop with ryzen and limitation options there, i thought maby its possible to limit tdp like that on intel as well. i couldn't find anything for laptop

setting it to power saver was the 1st thing i did.
also limited cpu to 19% and etc etc...

but when i saw my friend laptop with ryzen and limitation options there, i thought maby its possible to limit tdp like that on intel as well. i couldn't find anything for laptop
Even if you could limit the TDP, you're going to have to basically set it to the same levels as what Power Saver would've gotten you.

Last time I mucked around with an Intel laptop, setting the power plan to Power Saver kept the CPU basically under 1GHz and it rarely peaked up or got warm enough to turn the fan on.

.valkyrie.

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018
Even if you could limit the TDP, you're going to have to basically set it to the same levels as what Power Saver would've gotten you.

Last time I mucked around with an Intel laptop, setting the power plan to Power Saver kept the CPU basically under 1GHz and it rarely peaked up or got warm enough to turn the fan on.
doesnt work like that, at least for me.... maby u were using U series CPU

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Some Intel cpu's have a variable TDP, some do not. All depends on the specific laptop model.

Best way to conserve battery life is with a desktop laptop cooler, the hotter the battery gets while discharging, the lower the size of the charge. Heat creates resistance, and the battery draw in amps becomes larger to overcome the resistance and maintain voltages, which creates more heat.

So use the laptop on a solid surface and allow airflow to reach the underside of the laptop. Insulating it with sitting in your lap, on blankets etc just multiplies the heat contained and makes things worse.

Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
CPU Specifications
  • # of Cores
  • # of Threads
  • Max Turbo Frequency
    4.20 GHz
  • Cache
    8 MB Intel® Smart Cache
  • Bus Speed
    4 GT/s
  • Configurable TDP-up Frequency
    2.40 GHz
  • Configurable TDP-up
    28 W
  • Configurable TDP-down Frequency
    900 MHz
  • Configurable TDP-down
    12 W

That's how many laptop cpus are coming these days, no longer set to a single standard. But configuring the TDP down does mean that base frequency is lowered in order to maintain (guarantee) stability. That'll affect boost frequency.

Reactions: .valkyrie.

.valkyrie.

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018
asus Fx505 with i5 9300H
why do i want to lower TDP?
1-i dont want fans to spin when i watch movie and its on my lap (it get warm)
2- longer battery life ofc....

Right now using intel XTU with -0.145 CoreV, didnt notice anything