Question Downclock Ryzen 1700x

Nov 6, 2019
Ryzen 1700x
ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming-ITX/ac

Hi, please help me with advice. I'm noob at overclooking and facing strange unlogical stuff and want it to over.
It's all started with poor cooling for my Ryzen 1700x (because of small case and poor cooler) - i've noticed it starts throttling and got an idea to just downclock it(reduce frequency and voltage), to get lower tdp and prevent it from overheating. I thought it was the simplest solution, but hell no...

I started from Ryzen Master Utility. I set 3300mhz and 1.2v, hit apply and... nothing changed. The Ryzen Master and HWinfo still shows peak frequency at 3500mhz, voltage constantly changing 1.2-1.4v and prime95 still cause overheating and cpu start throttle(I noticed it because peak frequency in ryzen master starts to decreasing after CPU hit 95C(Tctrl)
BUT motherboard overclooking utility (F-stream tuning) show thet CPU frequency is 3300 and voltage 1.2

Then i tried to set higher clocks in Ryzen Master... 3600mhz, hit apply and it works somehow. RM started to show peak frequency as 3600 and 1.2v. Then i tried again to decrease clock to 3300mhz, hit apply and it works! Great.

After rebooting cpu frequency were resetted(ryzen master do not save settings, so its ok) and i tried again to start with setting lower frequency without success.
So, in Ryzen master utility the only way to downclock CPU is firstly apply higher clocks and then apply lower clocks. This is already super unlogical.

Ok, after i set CPU to 3300 and 1,2v I've run prime95 and prove that everything working fine - no overheating, no throttling. Great, now i want to set this values in my bios and forget about it.

I opened bios -> OC tweaker -> CPU frequency and voltage -> manual... set 3300 and 1.2, then saved changes, reboot...

after rebooting i opened Ryzen master and... frequency still 3500mhz. Still overheating in prime95... so bios settings somehow ignored.
And the only way to downclock my cpu at the moment is every boot open ryzen master, then increase frequency and then decrease it.

What wrong with it? How can i just set the frequency one time in the bios and forget about this monitoring, manual tuning every time... what i'm doing wrong? What can override the bios settings, how to disable this overriding?

Please, help me to end this ))))

elmotaipale160

Commendable
Nov 3, 2018
Ryzen 1700x
ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming-ITX/ac

Hi, please help me with advice. I'm noob at overclooking and facing strange unlogical stuff and want it to over.
It's all started with poor cooling for my Ryzen 1700x (because of small case and poor cooler) - i've noticed it starts throttling and got an idea to just downclock it(reduce frequency and voltage), to get lower tdp and prevent it from overheating. I thought it was the simplest solution, but hell no...

I started from Ryzen Master Utility. I set 3300mhz and 1.2v, hit apply and... nothing changed. The Ryzen Master and HWinfo still shows peak frequency at 3500mhz, voltage constantly changing 1.2-1.4v and prime95 still cause overheating and cpu start throttle(I noticed it because peak frequency in ryzen master starts to decreasing after CPU hit 95C(Tctrl)
BUT motherboard overclooking utility (F-stream tuning) show thet CPU frequency is 3300 and voltage 1.2

Then i tried to set higher clocks in Ryzen Master... 3600mhz, hit apply and it works somehow. RM started to show peak frequency as 3600 and 1.2v. Then i tried again to decrease clock to 3300mhz, hit apply and it works! Great.

After rebooting cpu frequency were resetted(ryzen master do not save settings, so its ok) and i tried again to start with setting lower frequency without success.
So, in Ryzen master utility the only way to downclock CPU is firstly apply higher clocks and then apply lower clocks. This is already super unlogical.

Ok, after i set CPU to 3300 and 1,2v I've run prime95 and prove that everything working fine - no overheating, no throttling. Great, now i want to set this values in my bios and forget about it.

I opened bios -> OC tweaker -> CPU frequency and voltage -> manual... set 3300 and 1.2, then saved changes, reboot...

after rebooting i opened Ryzen master and... frequency still 3500mhz. Still overheating in prime95... so bios settings somehow ignored.
And the only way to downclock my cpu at the moment is every boot open ryzen master, then increase frequency and then decrease it.

What wrong with it? How can i just set the frequency one time in the bios and forget about this monitoring, manual tuning every time... what i'm doing wrong? What can override the bios settings, how to disable this overriding?

Please, help me to end this ))))
Prime95 is often pushing the processor too far and it's not good for cpu stability testing. Try out Aida64, Cinebench or play some games.

Reactions: skorphil
Nov 6, 2019
Prime95 is often pushing the processor too far and it's not good for cpu stability testing. Try out Aida64, Cinebench or play some games.
Thanks for advice. I also tried Cinebench and just doing my job by rendering stuff... it's obvious that cpu is overheating on stock frequency.

I'm looking for a way to set it to 3300mhz and 1.2v. Bios settings somehow doesn't affect actual cpu frequency.

Nov 6, 2019
It could be your bios that's a bit broken. You can try to update it. You need a usb disc of any size and I would recommend you to watch a tutorial from asrock how to q-flash/uptade bios.
I'll try now. But i've already downgraded bios, because of some information it seems like newest bios 3.50 do not recomended for older CPU's. So now i downgrade to 3.40. I'll try to update again.

For me it seems like software somehow override bios settings on system boot. Maybe F-stream or Ryzen Master somehow affects it, but they are not loaded at startup so a bit strange

Nov 6, 2019
It could be your bios that's a bit broken. You can try to update it. You need a usb disc of any size and I would recommend you to watch a tutorial from asrock how to q-flash/uptade bios.
I think its not good idea to update to newest bios. at download pade - "ASRock do NOT recommend updating this BIOS if Pinnacle, Raven, Summit or Bristol Ridge CPU is being used on your system"

Nov 6, 2019
I tried to update bios, tried to uninstall Ryzen Master and F-stream utility. Everything is useless. Bios reported cpu working at 3300, but in the windows it is working at 3492. It's just <Mod Edit> - never ever buy amd and asrock. I spent so much time on this <Mod Edit>... Terrible products

Last edited by a moderator:

elmotaipale160

Commendable
Nov 3, 2018
I tried to update bios, tried to uninstall Ryzen Master and F-stream utility. Everything is useless. Bios reported cpu working at 3300, but in the windows it is working at 3492. It's just <Mod Edit> - never ever buy amd and asrock. I spent so much time on this <Mod Edit>... Terrible products
You can contact Asrock and require assistance or a new motherboard. I don't think it's anyone's fault just some mistake. Try installing an older bios verision if you haven't done it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 13, 2019
do you have any auto oc settings on in bios? also try to turn off cstates too, set maximum cpu power to like 80% in windows power options.

another things to do, set ur bios to default, go into oc settings and set voltages/voltage offset at -0.value u want.

Nov 6, 2019
You can contact Asrock and require assistance or a new motherboard. I don't think it's anyone's fault just some mistake. Try installing an older bios verision if you haven't done it.
I've done it - just wait for them to an answer 2+ days already.

set maximum cpu power to like 80% in windows power options.
It's not working. CPU frequency do not depend on this. I set at about 70% max and minimal like 60% and still have 3500mhz and start throttle at 95C Tctl. Tried to reboot - no results.

do you have any auto oc settings on in bios?
I cant find any

another things to do, set ur bios to default, go into oc settings and set voltages/voltage offset at -0.value u want.
That seems a bit tricky because i do not know what is stock voltage. By default it is changing rapidly from 1.2-1.4v... so it's sort of "auto" and i have no ideo from value i have to substract. Also I'm afraid that without changing to the lower frequency i'll get unstable cpu

Sep 13, 2019
if it was asus board i would be able to help you out, last time i was ocing on asrock mobo was when i had i5-6500k which was a little time ago... But i can assure you that's definitely not AMD fault, i have r5 1600 and didnt had much issue with ocing it once i found all the knick knacks of asus motherboard. It might not be as intuitive as with intel cpus.

Have you tried looking up some overclocking tutorials for your motherboard? should be some stuff around the internet.

https://www.tomshardware.com/review...g-itx-ac-overclocking-motherboard,5824-2.html

Nov 6, 2019
Have you tried looking up some overclocking tutorials for your motherboard? should be some stuff around the internet.

I haven't found any info regarding to my problem. Usually overcklocking topics is about optimal settings... But i have different problems, that my settings are ignored :(

Nov 6, 2019
Just try to install a new or an old bios and uninstall all overclocking utilities.
I've tried this :(

spend 20$ on a new cooler, problem solved.
Ahaha i'm not sure ) This is not only coolers fault, also my small ITX case with limited fans )

Asrock support have answered me and problem has been solved! (y)
do you have any auto oc settings on in bios?
You were right! )) There is such option. I had to disable "Core Performance Boost" (
Path: Advanced\AMD CBS\CPU Common Options)

Now it is working as expected. Thanks everyone for support!

Reactions: wexir

elmotaipale160

Commendable
Nov 3, 2018
I've tried this :(

Ahaha i'm not sure ) This is not only coolers fault, also my small ITX case with limited fans )

Asrock support have answered me and problem has been solved! (y)

You were right! )) There is such option. I had to disable "Core Performance Boost" (
Path: Advanced\AMD CBS\CPU Common Options)

Now it is working as expected. Thanks everyone for support!
Great, Enjoy overclocking!