[SOLVED] Downclocking

May 10, 2021
My ram is a corsair vengeance 3200MHz 8GB one. It is an XMP module. I want to downclock the ram to 2933MHz, so for that should I just enable the XMP setting which sets the speed at 3200MHz and then just manually choose the 2933MHz speed option to downclock it? Is that alright?

Solution
Umm what happens is that when I enable XMP, the setting then automatically sets the ram speed to 3200MHz. But there is no XMP profile for a 2933MHz speed, what I do is that I enable the XMP setting and then just set the ram speed to 2933MHz manually, keeping the rest of the XMP generated settings untouched. Now is that alright? Or do I need to manually set the voltage and timings? My ram kit is rated for 1.35V.

Seems alright. Of course, you can also downclock and undervolt manually, but if it's rated for 1.35V, then I don't see why you would do so. Except if you want to tighten the timings. Then push the timings up 1 or 2 steps and see how stable it is. The rule of thumb is for every clockspeed tier you move up, timings go down...
May 10, 2021
Umm what happens is that when I enable XMP, the setting then automatically sets the ram speed to 3200MHz. But there is no XMP profile for a 2933MHz speed, what I do is that I enable the XMP setting and then just set the ram speed to 2933MHz manually, keeping the rest of the XMP generated settings untouched. Now is that alright? Or do I need to manually set the voltage and timings? My ram kit is rated for 1.35V.

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014

Seems alright. Of course, you can also downclock and undervolt manually, but if it's rated for 1.35V, then I don't see why you would do so. Except if you want to tighten the timings. Then push the timings up 1 or 2 steps and see how stable it is. The rule of thumb is for every clockspeed tier you move up, timings go down by 1 value, and vice versa.

So for instance, if your RAM runs at 3200 CL17, you can do 2933CL16.

Furthermore, if it's stable at 3200Mhz and X set of timings, there shouldn't be a reason why it won't be stable at same timings and lower clockspeed.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS