[SOLVED] Downgrade Enterprise to Home

Mar 28, 2021
So I’ve been using my PC for years and have Windows 10 Home. I must have screwed up and accidentally installed Enterprise or upgraded to it somehow, now my key is invalid and I have the windows activation watermark.

Does anyone know of a method to maybe trick Windows into Home again?

The info I could find online states I can only do a clean install, which I am hoping to avoid, unless anyone knows of a way to keep the same settings / registry / installed app data that I have now.

Solution
Clean install is only way - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/an...grade-windows-enterprise-to-home-edition.html
you can downgrade from Pro to Home but not from Enterprise to Home

I don't know how you accidentally install Enterprise, its release stream isn't the same. Its not something you make with media creation tool (or the normal one anyway, maybe there is a similar tool for it).

Also unlikely to be an update unless Microsoft messed up, and then I would have expected articles about it.. not just 1 person.

USAFRet

Titan
So I’ve been using my PC for years and have Windows 10 Home. I must have screwed up and accidentally installed Enterprise or upgraded to it somehow, now my key is invalid and I have the windows activation watermark.

Does anyone know of a method to maybe trick Windows into Home again?

The info I could find online states I can only do a clean install, which I am hoping to avoid, unless anyone knows of a way to keep the same settings / registry / installed app data that I have now.
There is no downgrade.
Clean install is it.

And no, you can't keep the registry, etc.

sonofjesse

Distinguished
I don't know how you would do that by accident? Do have an old image to restore too?

Clean install most likely will be the fastest best way and if its been years, a fresh reinstall will help.

Take this time to ensure you have a 240GB SSD installed if not this would be a good time to upgrade.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Clean install is only way - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/an...grade-windows-enterprise-to-home-edition.html
you can downgrade from Pro to Home but not from Enterprise to Home

I don't know how you accidentally install Enterprise, its release stream isn't the same. Its not something you make with media creation tool (or the normal one anyway, maybe there is a similar tool for it).

Also unlikely to be an update unless Microsoft messed up, and then I would have expected articles about it.. not just 1 person.

Solution