Downgrade from Win7 64bits to WinXP 32bits

John147GHN

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011
Hello. So, I think my question is kinda simple (maybe the answer won't).
I bought a new Notebook, an Acer Aspire 4552 with Windows 7 64x but I really don't like it since I've had a lot of compatibility issues, I'm more comfortable with my old XP. So is it possible I can downgrade it with no "damage"? I mean that some driver won't work on it or something? I only know my pc will be slower but anyway I'm fine with it.
Thank you.

Solution

First off, the WinXP install CD will have NO drivers for that particular laptop. Youll have basic video, keyboard, mouse and DVD, and thats it. How can he go to windows update with no ethernet driver? Anyways, Windows update will have NO DRIVERS, because none were ever made for that laptop. The install CD might not even recognize his hard drive, although there are work arounds.

Second, the Xp installer will not erase multiple partitions when doing a clean install, unless you ask it to specifically. Yes it will erase...

jerryman

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011

Windows operating systems do not downgrade you would have to do a clean install of XP also you need to be aware that the way Acer format's the hard drive it will have a recovery partition and when you do the clean install with the XP it will remove the recovery partition so you will not be able to use the Acer recovery disk if you have problems later then the drivers you will have to research a lot to find XP drivers that work 14 of them to be exact good luck with that you will lose
Acer® Crystal Eye

Acer® eRecovery Management

Acer® Updater

Are you sure you want to do this to a new laptop

john147

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011
So my laptop right now has a recovery partition? I didn't know that.
Indeed the problem are the drivers. I don't have any problem losing Crystal Eye. But what is that "Acer Updater" thing? The only problem are the drivers.

The laptop only has Win7 drivers. http://support.acer.com/us/en/product/default.aspx?modelId=3314

I don't suggest you try to use XP on it unless you have the capability to experiment by wiping your drive, installing XP on it see if it works, then restoring Win 7 if it does not. As jerryman pointed out, if you install XP you will probably end up getting rid of the hidden recovery partition, adn need to make sure you have DVD/CD media to restore the system.

If your software does not run, you can use XP Mode to help it, maybe.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/What-is-program-compatibility
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

john147

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011
My compatibility issues specifically are audio/driver codecs and settings since I like to watch all my dvds in here and listen all my music. Windows 7 doesn't has a predetermined equalizer so I can't control all the sounds as I could on XP. Well, what I exactly want are all the settings from my old netbook, and my only option is to reset to WinXP. I feel like I can't control anything in Win7.
Well, I'll install XP, let's see how I go.

Richard_nixon

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
Doing a clean install of WinXP will not wipe out the backup partition. It is simply a hidden partition. You can do whatever you want with the active partition and nothing will change in the hidden one. You do need a program such as GParted to unhide that partition.

Getting drivers to work for that laptop will be a chore though. Ive done it before when there were no XP drivers available for a specific laptop, it was no easy task. But i got the hardware to about 90% of what it should have been. There were just some minor video driver problems.

You are making assumptions here. 7 has all the sound settings that XP had; you just have to install the right drivers and know where to look. Don't chuck away a great OS because of something that is fixable.

john147

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011

Ok. But your answer didn't solve anything, I don't mean to be rude. I've been looking everywhere in my Realtek HD drivers but they don't let me configure anything since they don't detect my headphones as HD, but my old Realtek HD audio drivers for WinXP worked fine and I had full surround sound in my heapdhones, but when I try to install the old drivers, this laptop won't let me, and the audio drivers are just the first problem, after that are some audio/video codec compatibility issues. I think Win7 is a great OS, but this laptop wasn't well manufactured for it.

Is there some way to change Win7's equalizer to old XP's? That would be a great start to solve everything.

Edit: I've been thinking about it more and more. At least I need to change the OS to 86x, and delete the audio drivers. But this Acer recovery thing, just well RECOVERS THEM immediately. Any ideas would be appreciated.

jerryman

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011

I like XP better also I say buy the dang XP disk and do it you will find the drives a lot of them you will get when your when you go to Windows update but you will want to download you enternet you know the one so you can get online drives before and save them on a external hard drive along with any thing you want to keep like your pictures music or what ever it will all work out and if you have any other problems you can always come back here and get more help XP is not that much slower as a last word I hate W 7 library's

jerryman

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011

When you do a clean install it tell you that every thing on the disk will be removed and that means even the things that are hidden + every body knows there is nothing hidden when your the administrator of the PC

Richard_nixon

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010

First off, the WinXP install CD will have NO drivers for that particular laptop. Youll have basic video, keyboard, mouse and DVD, and thats it. How can he go to windows update with no ethernet driver? Anyways, Windows update will have NO DRIVERS, because none were ever made for that laptop. The install CD might not even recognize his hard drive, although there are work arounds.

Second, the Xp installer will not erase multiple partitions when doing a clean install, unless you ask it to specifically. Yes it will erase everything on the partition, but typically, the restore files are on a hidden partition. They are not hidden in your C drive.

Third, your statement about everybody knowing theres nothing hidden when your the administrator, couldn't be farther from the truth. Unless you turn on "show hidden files and folders" there are thousands of things hidden from view. Even though a hidden partition has nothing to do with hidden files and folders.

Fourth, don't give advice about somthing you clearly don't have any knowledge/experiance with. :pfff: I would strongly recommend that the OP not install WinXP on this particular laptop. It can probably be done, but with alot of head banging and custom written drivers. Its going to be alot more agony than what its worth.

Final though, get used to Win7 because XP probably won't work right on any store bought, branded PC made in the past couple years.

Solution

Richard_nixon

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010

XP had an equalizer? I think you are talking about "Realtek HD Audio Manager" it had different settings for environmental effects and such? It was like an orange speaker icon in the task bar?

Its the only basic default installed program I can think of that auto detects headphones in XP.

I checked the acer website, have you downloaded and installed the "Audio Driver" package, its almost 100mb so Im pretty sure that program is included.

Here's some links
32 Bit here
http://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/Driver/Audio/Audio_Realtek_6.0.1.6156_W7x86_A.zip?acerid=634193521816442272&Step1=Notebook&Step2=Aspire&Step3=Aspire 4552&OS=712&LC=en&BC=Acer&SC=PA_6
64 Bit here
http://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/Driver/Audio/Audio_Realtek_6.0.1.6156_W7x64_A.zip?acerid=634193530976393610&Step1=Notebook&Step2=Aspire&Step3=Aspire 4552&OS=731&LC=en&BC=Acer&SC=PA_6

Edit: Also, read post above, I strongly recommend you not try to install XP.

jerryman

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011

You missed where I said get the all the drivers for XP before and save them on a external hard drive + I never said XP has the drivers on the XP disk And you can see that the restore pratition is D and every thing else is in C partition you do not have the right to say I know nothing you know nothing about me and what I have done this is a quote of what I said you will want to download you enternet you know the one so you can get online drives before and save them on a external hard drive so you are saying if a person had to put a new hard drive in you still could not install XP because you say there is hidden things that one one can find

john147

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011
Well, I've fixed most of the audio/video codec issues, so only the audio drivers are left.
I thought this was the XP "equalizer" http://www.petri.co.il/images/volume.jpg
As you can see there's the "wave" control. With that thing I could fix the sound, but Win7 doesn't has it. The "new" Realtek Driver even with the audio manager doesn't help at all. Also in the old driver I could get to the Wave control in the "mixer" tab, but with the update, I can't access it since my headphones aren't HD.
I think there are 2 ways to solve this:

Is there some way to get the "wave" control through Win7? or
How can I bypass Acer Recovery Manager so I can uninstall these new audio drivers and install the old ones?

Richard_nixon

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
What do you need the "wave" volume slider for? I thought all that was, was an extra volume control for Windows/Program sounds.

What exactly is the problem? You plug in your headphones to the headphone jack and no sound comes out?

john147

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011
Ok, the exact situation is that my headphones are stereo ok?
Well, By installing AC3 filter with the old Realtek HD audio drivers, I can emulate full 6 channels through my headphones, which sounds awesome. But for some reason, one channel is sent to "Wave" so I have to level up the sound so I can hear it.
If I can't control it, the bass sounds won't come out, neither some of the voices.
So yeah, I need to find out how to get the Wave slider or the old Realtek drivers since they have their own full mixer.

Edit: Now that I've seen that a lot of people have problem with the bass with the newest Realtek HD drivers, it seems my only option is to revert back to the old ones. But it looks those drivers aren't available for 64x.
Maybe I could change to Win7 86x?

Richard_nixon

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
The full line of 32 bit drivers are available for your laptop. So that could be an option.

Have you asked your question over at the AC3 forum? It sounds to me like that is where the main issue lies.

I would think that when MS amalgamated all the volume sliders they would have made anything that used to go to "wave" channel, go to the main volume slider.

Have you tried playing around with a program called virtual audio cable? Its got alot of audio settings to mess around with channels and such. Its basically a virtual soundcard that sits between Windows and your soundcard. Giving you options to combine sources and channels. Or split them too I think. Didn't use it too much, but looked interesting from what I saw.

John147GHN

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011
Virtual audio cable is kinda helpful, but not because it gives me full audio (which it doesn't) but because it disables the Realtek HD driver, when I activave or deactivate Virtual audio cable, audio doesn't change. Through disabling Realtek HD, I've recovered some bass, but other sounds are gone. I've reinstalled all my codecs and uninstalled AC3 filter to be sure it wasn't the cause. Nothing changed.
We're going to a dead end. Any other software to use multichannels?