Downgrade from XP Home to 2k Pro

lethargic

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003
I will be downloading from XP Home to 2k Pro in a few days. I will be reformatting and starting with a clean vanilla 2k installation.

Anyway... I have never used 2k PRO before and my pc is relatively new. I am just worried about hardware detection, drivers, and so on. Most of my hardware is probably more recent than this 2k install disk. Intel 845PEBT2 mobo with onboard sound and lan, for example. Then the GeForce4, Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-105 and you get the picture.

I am just curious as to what steps I should take prior to install. Will Win 2k automatically be able to detect this stuff and install (at least the dvd-rw drives and so on) or will I need to hunt each driver down individually on the web?

Sorry of these are dumb questions. :p If things are too difficult, I will probably just format and pop XP Home back on the pc, but I'd like to switch.

elzt

Distinguished
May 10, 2002
It's a good idea to have the latest w2k drivers for all devices handy. Anyway, you can go ahead and install w2k. Next look in device manager which will tell you which devices are unknown (marked with a "!" sign), those are the ones that w2k is unable to detect automatically. Then just install the drivers for the unknown devices, if any. Also, there might be some devices that the o/s is able to detect, but uses the generic drivers instead. You should update those drivers as well.

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
Win2k sould pick up your CD, DVD, CDRW and other drives just fine.

I'd want to have at least video, sound and network drivers on hand, and you can sort the rest out when you see what does and doesn't get installed.

2k and XP use a lot of the same drivers so you may already have most of what you will need.

---><font color=green>It ain't better if it don't work</font color=green><---

budwyzerferret

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2003
Still trying to figure out why he would want to go from XP (any) to 2000. In my experience, everything I liked about 2000 pro, remained in XP, only XP is a bit "prettier" I like XP Pro, and liked 2000 pro for the same reasons.

But, "whatever"

If It's 2000 you want, most drivers didn't change much from NT, 2000 to XP as far as I could see, they were pretty much interchangable.

Like the last guy said, only I put it in different words.

Any drivers you had to install after your XP Pro OS will most likely install just fine after installing 2000 pro.

That's microsoft for ya, there isn't really a new OS, just a different version of only 2 OS's.

The 95, 98 line died with millenium. the NT line lives on in 2000 and XP. In my opinion the latter were the only ones worth a damn in the first place. ;-)

RL

RL

lethargic

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003
well, note that in the topic i mention XP Home :D If I had access to XP Pro, I would probably go with that OS... :p But XP Home and 2k Pro are all I have available to me, and so far my stint with XP Home hasn't been too positive.

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
Lots of reasons to prefer 2k over XP... Personally I found the eyecandy used up a lot of system resources for no good reason. Transition effects, transparency, sliding and zooming are not necessary to make a computer work well and in fact often degrade performance noticeably. Also I found the CD-Writer and ZIP file handlers were just constantly getting in the way of things I wanted to do and the "autoplay" on everything was driving me nuts!

By the time you turn all that stuff off (and it can be turned off) you are left with what amounts to a bloated out copy of win2k... So I opted for the leaner and meaner and picked up 400megs of disk space in the process.

---><font color=green>It ain't better if it don't work</font color=green><---

It's a good thing I didn't buy XP an bought 2000 Pro. Who needs all the extra junk. Plus you picked up 400megs of disk space. Who needs to lose system resources to all that I candy. What a waste. Is the new Longhorn going to have a lot use less junk?

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
Lots of reasons to prefer 2k over XP... Personally I found the eyecandy used up a lot of system resources for no good reason. Transition effects, transparency, sliding and zooming are not necessary to make a computer work well and in fact often degrade performance noticeably. Also I found the CD-Writer and ZIP file handlers were just constantly getting in the way of things I wanted to do and the "autoplay" on everything was driving me nuts!

totally man. i used xp pro for a while, and yes it was nice. worked ok

but i find 2kpro to work alot nicer. it in itself looks alot nicer than ME or 98SE but doesnt chug yah down.. actually its amazing how much those freaking transition and shaded drag selection effects take up your cpu... watch it under task manager next time lolz

-------

<A HREF="http://www.quake3world.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001355.html" target="_new">*I hate thug gangstas*</A>

dhlucke

Polypheme
You can turn any or all of those off.

<b>Is Nvidia cheating?</b>

<A HREF="http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,3973,1086025,00.asp" target="_new">Extremetech says YES!</A>
<A HREF="http://www.theinquirer.org/?article=9648" target="_new">Futuremark says YES!</A>

dinkster9

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2001
you are not from this planet if you think going from XP home to win2000pro is a Downgrade. (look at some of my previous posts if you want some semi non factual information why I think XP home sucks so bad)

Try it!

"sixth sick sheik's sixth sheep's sick"
*grabs a stick and places it into the flames; mmmm, smores*
%Think before you act would be a good motto%