Downgrading a computer?

GeeTeeExTenSixty

Prominent
Jul 12, 2017
Lets say I bought an old pc that has a sticker that says designed for windows 98 but the computer has windows 7 installed by the previous owner. Will downgrading the computer from Win7 to Win98 speed the machine up a little or not?

Solution
Yes it will speed up the machine a whole lot. I would recommend Windows XP and not Windows 98. Please note that neither Windows 98 nor Windows XP are supported my Microsoft anymore. Also you might have trouble finding drivers for your computer, for that particular OS (98, XP).

mbilal2

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017
Yes it will speed up the machine a whole lot. I would recommend Windows XP and not Windows 98. Please note that neither Windows 98 nor Windows XP are supported my Microsoft anymore. Also you might have trouble finding drivers for your computer, for that particular OS (98, XP).

Solution

USAFRet

Titan

Main question...what will you be using it for, and what are the specs on it?

GeeTeeExTenSixty

Prominent
Jul 12, 2017

That was just an example, I dont really have a win98 computer, the oldest computer I have is made for WinXP but has Win7 installed on it, its a Dell Dimension 3100, has a Pentium 4 (3.06 ghz) 1gb ram, it runs fine on Win7 but I would not mind more performance so I was wondering if WinXP could help speed it up a notch.

GeeTeeExTenSixty

Prominent
Jul 12, 2017

I will make sure to upgrade the ram, and what if my operating system is not 64-bit but 32-bit? does that affect performance or not?

GeeTeeExTenSixty

Prominent
Jul 12, 2017

oh so if I have 32-bit windows I can only have max 2gb of ram installed on my system. ok. I dont think I dont think I will spend 15$ on 1gb of ram since I bought this computer for about 10$ but I will just take ram from another pc and put it in this Dell. Thanks for help though!

mbilal2

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017

10$ for a pentium? Lmaoo that's like the deal of the century. 2 things determine Ram. 1. Motherboard. 2. Operating System. 32-bits support 4 Gb max and 64-bit up to 2Tb. In your , your mobo supports up to 2Gb max so that's the limiting factor.

Good Luck!

GeeTeeExTenSixty

Prominent
Jul 12, 2017

Thanks a lot! yeah I got lucky with this pc, I bought 7 computers for only 50$ and now I am fixing them up and maybe going to resell them in the near future! anyway, now I know how to speed these machines up a little. Thanks again!