Downgrading to More Energy Efficient GPU

SaltySeaWeasel

Honorable
May 3, 2012
I currently have a GTX 970 powering my bedroom computer, but the thing is I hardly ever use the thing for anything but watching movies through Kodi. So it seems to me I should buy something a bit easier on my monthly electric bill (which regularly exceeds $500). Finding cards with the best FPS is a simple task, but I'm pretty lost trying to find the most energy efficient options.

Can someone recommend a Nvidia card that uses significantly less electricity? Other important factors are the noise levels and cooling capabilities, since it is in my bedroom I'd like to be be as quiet and cool as possible. I was looking at a GTX 950, but maybe I should just use my i5-3570K's integrated graphics? I really could just use some all around advice on the situation.

Thanks.

The integrated graphics might work, depending on the resolutions. something like a GTX 750ti is very cheap and is Maxwell so it will consume very little power. there are ones with sub 70 watt TDPs and a movie is never going to get it anywhere near that. you could try running on integrated graphics and seeing if it still works.

SaltySeaWeasel

Honorable
May 3, 2012
So if I'm understanding that above link, the GPU really doesn't use so much electricity that it would save me a significant amount of money. Sounds like I'm best off either doing nothing, or pulling out the GPU altogether and using the integrated graphics of my i5. I guess I better do some testing of my own with one of those electricity monitors.

FYI, I live in Hawaii and I think I pay upwards of 60 cents per kWh.

but you do live in Hawaii..... must be nice there right now, we have two feet of snow....
waiting would be best bet I think, but inter integrated should work.

I still doubt the GPU is racking up the bill. Look at it this way. A system with a GTX 970, while gaming, would consume like 250W of power. Let's say 300W just for the heck of it if we consider PSU efficiency. You have to game 3.3 hours to be charged 60 cents. So if you game 3.3 hours per day for 30 days, that would be $18 from your computer out of $500 in that month.

Air condition racks up the EL bill.

not to mention movies do not tax a 970 whatsoever. so it should still be using very little power.

SaltySeaWeasel

Honorable
May 3, 2012
Oh I know it's not the computer causing the massive bill, honestly I don't know what it is. I don't even have AC at my house, I'm just trying to take all the smaller measures I can to bring down the bill one step at a time. Also I checked my bill, I was actually only charged 28 cents per kWh for the last month, so I was way off thinking it was 60 cents.

Plus the weather really isn't that great here. It was like 60 degrees this morning and I was freezing.

try 12 degrees...
I would look around the house and try to total up which appliances use what, as that is a lot of money to spend on electric, and something big must be using a lion's share of that power. Got a random induction forge running 24/7?