Downgrading Windows 8.1

newms

Reputable
Jun 19, 2015
Hi!I have recently brought a Dell PC which comes with windows 8.1, however the applications I want to run are incompatible with 8.1. How would I downgrade to 7 with a CD?

Solution
Generally:
Create your win8.1 restore,recovery, and repair disks if you havent already. One day you might want to run 8.1 or sell the laptop...
Open device manager and make note of all the devices your current build has.
Download win7 Pro version drivers for all those devices. (skip system)
Install the win7 Pro install cd and install windows 7 Pro from scratch using the win7 Pro key ( already been used or not. Yes it can be oem).
- if this key was already used then call the number listed and explain you are downgrading to the rep and input the activation code he gives you.

install the win7 drivers.
Install your programs, backed up data, apps...
Create a new backup, make your recovery, restore, & repair disks.

popatim

Titan
Generally:
Create your win8.1 restore,recovery, and repair disks if you havent already. One day you might want to run 8.1 or sell the laptop...
Open device manager and make note of all the devices your current build has.
Download win7 Pro version drivers for all those devices. (skip system)
Install the win7 Pro install cd and install windows 7 Pro from scratch using the win7 Pro key ( already been used or not. Yes it can be oem).
- if this key was already used then call the number listed and explain you are downgrading to the rep and input the activation code he gives you.

install the win7 drivers.
Install your programs, backed up data, apps...
Create a new backup, make your recovery, restore, & repair disks.

Solution

pepe-w8

Reputable
Jun 20, 2015
Hi Potatim, I have a similar problem. I did a downgrade from w8 Toshiba Satellite C855D to w7x64. I have an old distribution cd w7, but not booteable. So, I prepared a boot w7 pendrive, added all cd´s files and went ahead with the pen drive into Toshiba laptop. I were able to format the disk (after change its settings), I installed w7 and all ok. BUT, I did not followed your advise and I did not made backups, so I installed a lot of drivers from AMD and Toshiba. By the way, it was possible because I have a wireless usb adapter and I can do all the work with it. BUT, I can not get the wireless internal controler to work. So, I should use my old wireless usb adapter if I want internet...

What can I do to set up the wireless internal controler ?. Do you have some advise ?. Thanks in advance for your time.