Download Chrome OS for Free With VMWare

Status
Not open for further replies.

webbwbb

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
I'm using virtualbox and so far am unable to get it to work. Last time I tried using VMware it corrupted my OS and caused me too much trouble to be worth it so I am not going to try that again. I'll post later if I am able to figure out anything.

henrystrawn

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
You all can have at it. For all of you flocking to social networks and cloud computing, giving up control of you personal info, I wish you the best. Personally I think that a safe amount of paranoia is a good thing. I prefer to keep as much control locally as I can.

ksenter

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
Downloaded the vmware copy (I have vmware workstation), setup a VM, added the vmdk, booted up instantly (literally 1 second or less), logged in using my gmail account and it opens a chrome looking browser that says mail.google.com's security certificate has been revoked.. oh well

CoryInJapan

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2008
[citation][nom]henrystrawn[/nom]You all can have at it. For all of you flocking to social networks and cloud computing, giving up control of you personal info, I wish you the best. Personally I think that a safe amount of paranoia is a good thing. I prefer to keep as much control locally as I can.[/citation]
Hmm some one gave you thumbs down...Well I thumbs up to get rid of it because I agree...And think this guy has the right idea.

ksenter

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
[citation][nom]CoryInJapan[/nom]Hmm some one gave you thumbs down...Well I thumbs up to get rid of it because I agree...And think this guy has the right idea.[/citation]

I didn't thumb either of you up nor down, but I figured I'd throw my perspective out there anyway... I think Chrome OS would be fine for netbooks, I might even buy a netbook one of these days, but my desktop takes priority. I too love control, and am hesitant to store sensitive data in the cloud. But I CAN see a use for Chrome OS, it'll just never be my main OS, but rather something I'd put on a device I consider more of a toy. I mean as a developer I can't see myself writing code and compiling on Chrome OS for example. But I can see me using it on a device that I carry everywhere to browse the internet when I'm not near a PC, etc... Anyway, it's worth a look in my opinion.

ksenter

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
[citation][nom]El_Capitan[/nom]cna i run vmware on my laptop? i don't know if chrom will run if it isn't on apple or doe s it stay same?[/citation]

You can run vmware on pretty much anything I think... I'm running it in linux right now (I mostly use windows OS's, but I happen to be using the linux version of vmware workstation as my host right now). I don't know anything about vmware player, I think it's free though and they should have a windows and linux version (probably works on macs too).

itsmarik

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009
i couldnt get vdi image to work in virtual-box, but vmdk worked fine. it's an interesting concept -- browser as a whole OS. not sure how useful it would be, though. i guess we'll have to wait and see.

btw, has anyone figured out how to "power-off" the OS, aside from closing the VM?

ksenter

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
[citation][nom]itsmarik[/nom]i couldnt get vdi image to work in virtual-box, but vmdk worked fine. it's an interesting concept -- browser as a whole OS. not sure how useful it would be, though. i guess we'll have to wait and see.btw, has anyone figured out how to "power-off" the OS, aside from closing the VM?[/citation]

Nope, let me know if you figure it out...

kyeana

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
[citation][nom]itsmarik[/nom]i couldnt get vdi image to work in virtual-box, but vmdk worked fine. it's an interesting concept -- browser as a whole OS. not sure how useful it would be, though. i guess we'll have to wait and see.btw, has anyone figured out how to "power-off" the OS, aside from closing the VM?[/citation]

Apparently the virtual box image isn't working. However, if you download the vmware image you can still use it in virtual box (or at least that's what has been said, I'm download it to test right now).

Ill post back once it's done downloading

ibnsina

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009
Download the vmdk image it will work on Virtual box, you get very slow response though. We have to wait for the live-cd version I guess.

Use your Google account to login,If you don’t have one open one here.

Remember the vmdk is compressed; you can use WinZip, WinAce or WinRAR to uncompressed.

It doesn’t seem to work on VMware Player 3 or VM Workstation 7.

G

"Browser as an OS" = Windows since Win98. Remember the kerfuffle MS went through about it?

twu

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2007
[citation][nom]ksenter[/nom]Downloaded the vmware copy (I have vmware workstation), setup a VM, added the vmdk, booted up instantly (literally 1 second or less), logged in using my gmail account and it opens a chrome looking browser that says mail.google.com's security certificate has been revoked.. oh well[/citation]

Wow, your windows system is fast. It took 1 second to provide you a Chrome OS for you to surf the web. :) awesome.

sailfish

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2007
No thanks. Sadly, I have more important things I have to attend to like, cleaning cruft from between toes, doing mouseovers on my Win7 desktop lower-right transparency sweet spot, posting inane comments on Tom's Hardware ... stuff like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.