Question Download goes to 0 bytes and SSD goes to 100%

Oct 14, 2021
SPECS:
CPU: Intel i5 4690
GPU: GTX 970 SC EVGA
RAM: 2x 8GB Kingston Fury 1866Mhz (Motherboard can only handle 1600Mhz)
Motherboard: H81M-A/BR
SSD: GLOWAY STK480GS3-S7 480GB
PSU: Corsair CX600

I have 500Mbps internet and since when I got this internet, when I download from anywhere, be it Steam, Origin, Ubisoft, Epic Games, Riot Games, etc... the download starts at max speed, around 60MB/s, then after a few seconds it starts to drop until it reaches 0 bytes. A few more seconds have passed and it starts downloading again. I already called my ISP and they said the only limitation is bound to my plan, which is 500Mbps.
HidJf0H.png

Alongside this, my SSD, which is GLOWAY STK480GS3-S7, goes up to 100% for a few seconds aswell, but my CPU stays around 60%.

pDydYqS.png

After I rule out that my internet was the problem, I turned my atention to my SSD, but every test I did said it was OK. As I don't have another SSD I couldn't test to see how it behave. But I have a HDD and already tried to boot Windows through the HDD and download through SSD, but it didn't solve my problem.

HD Sentinel

J46evMX.png

Estimated max written tranfer while downloading
cgEy8Rs.png

Crystal Disk Info

UgB9lj8.png

LXYsnYB.png

Crystal Disk Mark MB/s

ncIDzNY.png

Crystal Disk Mark IOPS

pVWfLGs.png

Fixes I tried:
  • Reinstalling Windows
  • "WPR -cancel"
  • Clear Steam download cache
  • Change Steam server (even if everywhere was not working properly)
  • If I limit the Steam download speed at 30 MB/s it stays stable, with 20% SSD usage, but I have a 60MB/s internet.
  • bcdedit /set useplatformclock false
  • Clean Boot
  • Drivers and Windows updated
  • Regedit > "largesystemcache" > changed to 1
  • and more...

popatim

Titan
You download is compressed so your systems has to uncompress the files and then write them to disk which is why you see the odd up-down pattern. it looks like your system isn't fast enough to handle it all esp with respects to your drive. Remember that download is to your drive, the uncompressing is to another area of the same drive, and the final writing is to a 3rd area... Your dramless drive is doing the best it can given the circumstances.

Oct 14, 2021
You download is compressed so your systems has to uncompress the files and then write them to disk which is why you see the odd up-down pattern. it looks like your system isn't fast enough to handle it all esp with respects to your drive. Remember that download is to your drive, the uncompressing is to another area of the same drive, and the final writing is to a 3rd area... Your dramless drive is doing the best it can given the circumstances.
So if I get a SSD SATA with DRAM I won't have this problem? What about the Kingston A400?

Last edited: