Question Download latency is always high no matter where I go. It has to be my PC right?

aprillian

Commendable
Mar 12, 2021
Hello!

I've had high latency problems for about two years now but the kicker is that it stays the same between carriers. A local provider was delivering 300 MBps but the service was horrible. Always disconnecting and consistently pushing 900 download latency. I recently moved and upgraded to fiber thinking that would fix the latency. However now I am getting 800 MBps but still pushing high download latency. I don't think this is normal because at work the latency is a steady one to two digits with the same download speed.
Is there a setting I need to adjust? Or maybe get static ip?

Any suggestion would be appreciated :)

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
If you are using the same router carried over from the other provider (assuming you were using your own the whole time) then the router could potentially be the issue as rgd is hinting towards.
but if using the router provided by the ISP, meaning the router has changed, then I would look at one of three things:

#1, it's something to do with your PC (perhaps the network port/card built into the motherboard)

#2, it's something to do with your ethernet cable itself (if reusing the same cable)

#3, it's something to do with the wiring in the home, but this last one might not be the issue if the fiber service you have terminates directly into the modem/ONT box. But if the fiber terminates just outside the home and relies on copper wiring to get the rest of the way then it's possible it's the copper, which connecting directly to the modem/ONT and testing can help rule out (assuming it's not issue #1 and/or #2)

Latency is mostly a measure of distance based on some fraction of the speed of light. There are cases when you have a overload condition someplace in the path that places data in buffers or in some cases the data does not take the shortest path.

You can do nothing about delays outside your house. It also has no impact on download speeds, modern downloads use tricks so the latency does not impact the download speeds.

Now I guess you could have some issue in your pc or the router but it is not very common.

A couple of things to check that may or may not make any difference. Disable IPv6 support in the nic settings, sometime IPv6 has a worse path than ipv4. Next look for any kind of "qos" or "gamer" network software. Anything that claims to favor one kind of traffic over another. This tends to be bundled with the bloatware you get with some motherboard and video cards. A common name is cFosSpeed. This type of software causes all kinds of strange issue and really can only affect traffic between processes inside your machine. If you have a network bottleneck inside the machine you have a very strange issue. Just remove any software like this.

aprillian

Commendable
Mar 12, 2021
Sorry it seems I wasn't very thorough in my post.

Completely new modem is in use at the new place.
Hardwired directly to the isp provided modem.
No longer disconnecting intermittently like at the last house with last hardware.
Isp literally just wired to the home last week.
I keep my PC bare bones and minimalist as far as software. Almost 0 3rd party software or performance programs.

In light of all this I was figuring it has something to do with my ipv4/6 settings or possibly my network port. But the motherboard is new as of two years ago. I had no latency issues when I first built it but that was with yet another isp before the last.

I'll try the IPv6 change and see if it helps over time.

Thank you!

Other ISP may not have supported IPv6 and the new one does or the new one does not have as good a connection to the IPv6 network. IPv6 and IPv4 although they might share some routers and fibers do not follow the same interconnects between ISP.

Then again this is purely a guess just because IPv6 has issues for many people.

There generally is no reason to use IPv6 unless you are access a tiny number of sites in asia that do not use IPv4.

Sorry it seems I wasn't very thorough in my post.

Completely new modem is in use at the new place.
Hardwired directly to the isp provided modem.
No longer disconnecting intermittently like at the last house with last hardware.
Isp literally just wired to the home last week.
I keep my PC bare bones and minimalist as far as software. Almost 0 3rd party software or performance programs.

In light of all this I was figuring it has something to do with my ipv4/6 settings or possibly my network port. But the motherboard is new as of two years ago. I had no latency issues when I first built it but that was with yet another isp before the last.

I'll try the IPv6 change and see if it helps over time.

Thank you!
test with 1 pc directly from the modem to get a baseline. you can test with a few different pcs or even test from a live linux iso to rule out any software issues. just make sure your firewall is on and blocking inbounds. many desktop os it's the default.