Download nt5inf cat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exportfed1

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2011
Hello,
my computer crashed and when trying to reinstall the Operating systemn it asked me for the SP2 which I downloaded on another computer and copied to a CD. Inserted the CD to the computer I am trying to reinstall and it took the download SP2. NOW is aking me for NT5inf.cat which it does not seem to be on the SP2 i just downloaded. I am stuck. Tried to find how to download this cat file from another computer to a cd so that I can continue with my reinstall on my bad computer. Not sucess. Would greaty appreciate anyones help. thank you in advance

Bill

Mar 13, 2021
I encountered this issue while trying to install Windows XP x64 on an older HP desktop where oddly, its CPU isn't supported by Windows 7 x64. I was using the Rufus tool to install via USB flash drive. NT5inf.cat was the first file it couldn't find, but there were also about 20 others for which it also prompted.

It might have to do with how Rufus sets up virtual drives during installation. It was looking for some files in A:\AMD64. I switched to a command prompt (Shift-F10) and searched all of A:\ for the file (as well as NT5INF.CA_) and it wasn't there. It was also not present anywhere on C:. Turns out that since I had one hard disk, and one DVD drive (no floppy drives), the virtual CD drive letter was E:, and this was where the installation files were located.

The quick and lightly tedious fix is to replace whatever path that pops up with rotating drive letters until you find the correct one. So, if Windows defaults to looking in A:\AMD64, you can try:

B:\AMD64
C:\AMD64
D:\AMD64
<---Usually the first possible drive letter for a CD drive
etc.

Once you find it, the installation will continue, but will likely immediately pop back up with another missing file, so pay attention to the file name being asked for (it could change from NT5INF.CAT to something else without you noticing). If the filename changes, you found the correct location and the last drive letter you tried is the one that works.

I find it a little easier to switch to the command prompt and type each letter until the prompt changes.

C:\> D:
The system cannot find the drive specified.
C:\> E:
E:\>

Then, you can see if the file is present on that drive with dir and find (WinXPx64 output):

E:\> dir /s | find /I "nt5inf"
03/25/2005 04:00 AM 71,403 NT5INF.CA_

Now that you know the drive letter for the installation CD (or virtual CD), go back to the installation window and type in:

[DRIVE LETTER]:\[DEFAULT SEARCH DIR]

In my case, it was:

E:\AMD64

Once you type it in, copy it to the clipboard (highlight + Ctrl-C) so you can paste it in again for the rest of pop-ups (it doesn't save it). I saw another post elsewhere mentioning the same error on Windows 2000, so I think this workaround could apply to other Windows versions.

If you want to get fancy, run this one-liner:

C:\> @Echo off & for %L in (D E F G H I J K) do (if exist %L:\. (echo %L: & dir /s %L: | find /I "nt5inf"))
D:
E:
03/25/2005 04:00 AM 71,403 NT5INF.CA_

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.