Question Download speed capped at 100mbps, solutions?

Snoobaa

Reputable
Feb 13, 2020
Hey,

I recently changed my internet plan from a <Mod Edit> poor 50/20 to 250/25, and all other internet enabled devices in my apartment are getting around 200mbps, but my PC (connected via ethernet), only gets around 90-95, with the status saying it is 100.0mbps. My motherboard is capable of it (MSI B550M-P gen3) and so is my router. I believe the problem is the internal wiring of my apartment. It doesn't seem likely that my apartment would have anything less than CAT5e though, as surely it is standard, considering that the building was built within the last 5 years.
Do I have any solutions to this that isn't to use a wifi adapter in/on my PC?

TIA

P.S. I'm not a total noob so please avoid 'try restart your pc' or 'try restart your router/modem' - thanks :).

Last edited by a moderator:
So how is the cable between your pc and the router actually connected.

Does it directly connect or do you plug it into some wall jack that somehow then connects to the router.

This is almost always a bad cable. If you have a direct connection just try a new one. Be careful lots of fake cable being sold, mostly those flat cables that have wires too thin to be actual ethernet cables.

If it is in the wall it gets a little more tricky. It seldom is the wire itself most times there is some issue with one of the connections in the jack. You can pull the jack and look for a lose connection but you will likely need a tester to see which pin is not correct. Pretty much you can pull the wires out cut off a bit and repunch them down in most cases.

Reactions: Snoobaa

Snoobaa

Reputable
Feb 13, 2020
So how is the cable between your pc and the router actually connected.

Does it directly connect or do you plug it into some wall jack that somehow then connects to the router.

This is almost always a bad cable. If you have a direct connection just try a new one. Be careful lots of fake cable being sold, mostly those flat cables that have wires too thin to be actual ethernet cables.

If it is in the wall it gets a little more tricky. It seldom is the wire itself most times there is some issue with one of the connections in the jack. You can pull the jack and look for a lose connection but you will likely need a tester to see which pin is not correct. Pretty much you can pull the wires out cut off a bit and repunch them down in most cases.
Apologies for limited info. My router has a brand new CAT5e cable running into a wall terminal. A cable (not sure of the CAT, runs through the wall into the bedroom where my computer is. I have another brand new CAT5e cable from that wall terminal to my pc. I've pulled the wall socket out of the wall to see if there was any specification on what type of cable, but I couldn't see anything. It's definitely not a fake flat one though.

Do you think it is likely that inside the walls is a CAT5 cable? It's either this or damage that is limiting my speed right?

USAFRet

Titan
Apologies for limited info. My router has a brand new CAT5e cable running into a wall terminal. A cable (not sure of the CAT, runs through the wall into the bedroom where my computer is. I have another brand new CAT5e cable from that wall terminal to my pc. I've pulled the wall socket out of the wall to see if there was any specification on what type of cable, but I couldn't see anything. It's definitely not a fake flat one though.

Do you think it is likely that inside the walls is a CAT5 cable? It's either this or damage that is limiting my speed right?
There are many many cables sold as "Cat5e" that are NOT up to standards.

Snoobaa

Reputable
Feb 13, 2020
There are many many cables sold as "Cat5e" that are NOT up to standards.
That's pretty frustrating... I want to try using something like a wifi bridge, that I can plug my ethernet cable into to my PC. Would this work? I don't even know what kind of gear I'm looking for so could you give me a recommendation at all? Long story short, my PC does not handle wifi very well at all, so I am trying to avoid it at all costs.

kanewolf

Titan

The first place to look is the in-wall cabling. You say you don't know anything about it. When you have in-wall cabling, you need a tester. I recommend this -- https://www.amazon.com/Ethernet-Connections-Klein-Tools-VDV526-200/dp/B0925826M2 If just one of the 8 wires is not connected OR if the color code was not followed, then you won't get a gigabit connection. Start with the in-wall cabling, IMO.

Although it might be a not very convenient thing to test I would try to place you computer near the router so you can test the cables. This is only a temporary thing but it would at least give you a idea if it is your cables or it is the in wall cables.

Even the very best cables can be defective at times.

You in effect have 3 different cables. There is the cable that you run between the wall and your computer in your room. There is a second cable between the router and some other connection that is the far end of the in wall cables to your room. Then you lastly have the cable in the wall.

I would test each of the cables that are not in the wall directly between the router and your PC and be sure they run at 1gbit. If these are fine it makes it more likely it is the wall cabling. This though does not 100% prove it is the wall cabling. It could be one of the cables make poor contact that works at short distance but not longer...ie when it is connected to other cables.

Not sure maybe you get lucky and one of the patch cables is bad and the wall cabling is good. Luckily it is almost never the wire itself that is bad with in wall cabling it is almost always one of the ends has a issue. If you think it is the in wall cabling you can blindly try replace one end at a time. They make new keystones that do not require tools other than a wire cutter to install.