[SOLVED] Download speed capped with full duplex.

Apr 30, 2020
Whenever I boot up my computer, it would take 30-45 seconds for it to connect to the internet (wired connection).
After a while of searching around I saw some thread recommending to:
  • Select the Ethernet adapter in your Network connection list
  • Select Properties from the context menu
  • Click Configure
  • Select the Advanced tab
  • Select Speed & Duplex from the list and change the value to 100 MBit/s Full Duplex
I did this, restarted my computer and lo and behold it connected instantly.
With this though, another problem came up. I couldn't watch videos and it took huge amounts of time just to load one page. I went from an average of 90 Mbps to 6 Mbps (somehow upload speed was not affected and I continued having an average of 90Mbps)
I have found a compromise between the two by using 100MBit/s Half Duplex. Is there any problem with this? Would this affect games in some way I have yet to notice? If so is there anyway to fix my internet detection without changing from Auto Negotiation?

Solution
Half duplex is really bad if you run any kind of traffic. The router and you pc must take turns talking on the wire pairs and as the traffic increases the more chance they talk at the same time. Full duplex uses different pairs and they can talk at the same time. On gigabit they can talk on all 4 pair at the same time from both ends without damaging each other.

You almost have to leave the setting on auto. If you set one end to a fixed rate and the other end is on auto it many times will not get the correct speeds. The auto side many times will drop to 100 half....which maybe why it is working better than 100 full. You can only set them manually when you can set both sides but there is almost no consumer router you...
Half duplex is really bad if you run any kind of traffic. The router and you pc must take turns talking on the wire pairs and as the traffic increases the more chance they talk at the same time. Full duplex uses different pairs and they can talk at the same time. On gigabit they can talk on all 4 pair at the same time from both ends without damaging each other.

You almost have to leave the setting on auto. If you set one end to a fixed rate and the other end is on auto it many times will not get the correct speeds. The auto side many times will drop to 100 half....which maybe why it is working better than 100 full. You can only set them manually when you can set both sides but there is almost no consumer router you can set the port speed/duplex.

Your problem almost has to be a bad cable. Now it could be a bad port but that is unlikely and you can't fix that anyway. You can check that you have the latest ethernet drivers but speed/duplex is mostly a hardware function of the chips that drivers tend to have little effect.

I would try a new cable. Make sure you get cat5e or better. Make sure the cable is pure copper with wire size 22-24. There is lots of fake cable being sold. Be sure to avoid CCA cable and that flat or thin cable.

Solution