Question download speed decreases after reaching limit

Feb 21, 2019
So, here is the thing. I have 1 Gb/s network. Mostly I can download with 30-40 Mb/s which is normal, for some servers. BUT, when reach about 40 Mb/s downloading a torrent, the speed starts decreasing and doesn't stop until 3 Mb/s. After, the speed starts increasing again, reaches 40 Mb/s and starts decreasing again, this happens over and over. While downloading in steam, I was able to reach the peek of 98.4 Mb/s, and after, it started decreasing until 4 Mb/s. The increase starts again, reach the maximum level and then only decrease. I have been browsing the answer for this issue for weeks and no success. Anyone with an idea for solving this problem? I leave here a speedtest in case somebody asks for it: https://www.speedtest.net/result/8059228083

30% of the networking problem here is WIFI (fighting for airway share).

30% is wrong W10 driver. Old NIC no specifically supported by W10.

30% is general congestion, you are fighting for shared bandwidth with your housemates. Upload is as important as download if u understand how tcp/ip works.

Ur specific case may have to do with Torrent, which tend to grab all available bandwidth if you let it, so you should configured it with a cap.

Last edited: