[SOLVED] Download speed different from PC to phone.

Jul 13, 2021
So around a month ago I was having internet issues and was getting random packet loss when gaming on my PC. I tested my connection and was getting around 15mbs down and 15mbs up (my normal speeds are (70 down and 15-20 up). After a couple of days, the packet loss stopped. However, when I tested my internet connection after and ever since my download speed is between 35-50 and upload is 15-20. I have tested my connection on my phone and the results I get are as expected 70 down 15-20 up and 10 ping. When testing on my PC (via ethernet cable) My ping and upload both seem to be what they should, however, my download speed is sometimes half of what it is on my phone. It is possible that the issue started before the period of packet loss as I had not tested my connection for a while before that. I have a TP-Link powerline adapter which I have used for years without issue. I have reset my router 1000 times, tried a new ethernet cable and wiped my pc, but neither resolved the issue.

Solution
Wireless is always slower than wired.( unless something is wrong with the wired connection.)
Powerline adapters were always slower than Wired for me.
And your phone could be using wireless AND 4G to download.
My phone will use both for downloads when "Download booster" is enabled.
And it could be as simple as another device connecting to your adapter wirelessly and slowing things down.
Wireless is always slower than wired.( unless something is wrong with the wired connection.)
Powerline adapters were always slower than Wired for me.
And your phone could be using wireless AND 4G to download.
My phone will use both for downloads when "Download booster" is enabled.
And it could be as simple as another device connecting to your adapter wirelessly and slowing things down.

Solution
I would try a ethernet directly plugged into the router. If you still have issue you start to suspect software in the pc. The quickest test is to boot a linux USB image. Most have chrome browser pre installed an you can run speedtest like you do under windows. If this also has a issue you start to suspect hardware...the ethernet cable being the most likely suspect even though you replaced it.

Powerline networks can be very strange. Although not as common on the newer av2 based models they are very susceptible to interference. I have a shopvac that will kill powerline networks anyplace in the house. It could be you have something new plugged in or it can be as simple as you have a fan or ac on that wasn't on when it was cooler.

If is it the powerline devices you could try the newer av2 based ones if you are not already. If you have coax tv cable in both rooms you could use MoCA. There are many units that can actually pass full gigiabit speeds and coax cable has much less chance of something interfering.

Jul 13, 2021
I would try a ethernet directly plugged into the router. If you still have issue you start to suspect software in the pc. The quickest test is to boot a linux USB image. Most have chrome browser pre installed an you can run speedtest like you do under windows. If this also has a issue you start to suspect hardware...the ethernet cable being the most likely suspect even though you replaced it.

Powerline networks can be very strange. Although not as common on the newer av2 based models they are very susceptible to interference. I have a shopvac that will kill powerline networks anyplace in the house. It could be you have something new plugged in or it can be as simple as you have a fan or ac on that wasn't on when it was cooler.

If is it the powerline devices you could try the newer av2 based ones if you are not already. If you have coax tv cable in both rooms you could use MoCA. There are many units that can actually pass full gigiabit speeds and coax cable has much less chance of something interfering.

Thanks for the help, when putting the ethernet directly from my PC to the router even while using the same ethernet cable the speeds are as they should be.