[SOLVED] Download speed drops from 480 Mb/s to about 90 Mb/s over a period of about an hour ?

EbenMK

Prominent
Feb 29, 2020
When I boot my pc/restart the network adapter I will get about 480 Mb/s down. It will then slowly drop until it's stable at about 90 Mb/s, usually within an hour. None of the other devices on the network have the same problem. My ethernet adapter is a Killer E2500 with the proper drivers installed and I'm using Windows 10. I can't find anyone online with a similar issue, so I'm coming here for help.

Solution
Is this what you are using for your e2500? Download Intel® Killer Performance Suite
Do exactly the reverse of this. This software causes all kinds of strange issues and it provides no benifit since you can not affect traffic outside your machine and if you must prioritize traffic inside your machine you are doing something strange.

Now that intel has this crap I am not sure how things work. The killer stuff was not as simple uninstalling the software. There are different drivers without the killer features. I have not looked at this since intel got this so id don't know where you find those anymore

Close to number 1 on my list of features on a motherboard is it does not use killer chipset.

Note before you get...

Ralston18

Titan
Open Resource Monitor when you first boot up.

Start watching the system via the Network tab. Leave the window open and slide to one side so you can continue watching as you work as normal.

Look for what changes or is changing as the speed drops.

You may need to peek at other tabs from time to time to determine if something else is going on as well.

Is this what you are using for your e2500? Download Intel® Killer Performance Suite
Do exactly the reverse of this. This software causes all kinds of strange issues and it provides no benifit since you can not affect traffic outside your machine and if you must prioritize traffic inside your machine you are doing something strange.

Now that intel has this crap I am not sure how things work. The killer stuff was not as simple uninstalling the software. There are different drivers without the killer features. I have not looked at this since intel got this so id don't know where you find those anymore

Close to number 1 on my list of features on a motherboard is it does not use killer chipset.

Note before you get real far check the ethernet properties and look at the connection speed. If it is dropping to 100mbps rather that gigabit it is likely a cable that is defective rather than driver issues.

Solution

Note before you get real far check the ethernet properties and look at the connection speed. If it is dropping to 100mbps rather that gigabit it is likely a cable that is defective rather than driver issues.
I only asked if this is what he was using, so I'm not sure what he would be doing the opposite of.

I am unsure if this has changed....again if it says killer I will not buy it so it has been years since I messed with this but people still report issues with this stuff.

There are similar programs that asus ships with intel based ethernet. In that case it is as simple as removing the programs. With killer they used to put part of the program in to the drivers so the only way to remove it was to load different drivers. They had a area that had drivers without the killer features. I bet this still exists but hard to say where now since they were bought.

If you have not done it yet I would try a new ethernet cable. Check to see if it is dropping to 100mbps in the ethernet settings. Bad cables will work and as they get warm the metal will move in the plugs and might disconnect if they are slightly loose.