Question Download Speed half of what it used to be also Upload latency Very High

Dec 5, 2023
So basically my question is what can I check for in my house to make sure I'm not somehow losing internet strength somewhere. At my house we have both commercial and residential internet since we have a business also attached to the house. I have the residential service completely to myself and it is the gig speed cable from Charter. When they first had it setup I was getting 940Mbps Download and 39Mbps upload with 14 latency. This was with the same router and modem I'm currently using too, also must note I am doing all these tests from my gaming desktop that is connected via cat6 to the router. That was 6 months ago, now when I test I get 400-450 download still 39 upload but the latency increases each day after a reset on my upload speed. And the latency even goes above 200 not sure how bad that is but 14-200 seems like a huge difference. I'm wondering if I'm going to have to unplug the modem daily in order to keep the upload latency down.
I stream to the internet daily so I'm wondering if that has something to do with the latency increasing but wondering if anyone knows something I can look for along the line to possibly fix this. Otherwise I'm just going to have charter come and take a look. I just don't see how I could be getting half the download speed I got 6 months ago but charter has come to fix the commercial internet a couple times aswell as the land line phone for the business so maybe they messed something up idk. I wasn't testing speeds much at all until recently because I figured it would stay at the speeds it was 6 months ago. The cable is run into the basement on some kind of splitter sent through the entire house I'm pretty sure. Maybe I need to get a new modem and router not really sure what to do. Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Also I guess it would be good to know if upload latency/slower speeds is affecting my live streams, because that's the main reason I want it all running good.

Try other speedtest servers and see if it makes any difference. Best is to test with one in a city near you that is owned by your ISP if possible.

Latency is almost always due to something overloaded. The only exception is when you are on some kind of wireless since that retransmits data and it takes time. Other transmission methods you will see data loss rather than delay.

Most modems have a screen someplace that shows you all the signal levels. They also many times show things like how many error packets you get. If you search google you will find tables that show what the recommended signal levels are. It varies a bit depending on the type of docsis and encoding the ISP is using. It tends to be fairly common to see the upload signal levels too high....but that does not just affect upload. You really should be seeing packet loss if you were to leave a constant ping run to say 8.8.8.8 if there were issues with the signal level.