Question Download speed increases when I switch on my study lamp

Mar 18, 2020
Hey all,
A continuation to my previous post: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/powerline-speed-drops-when-router-is-connected.3582736/
tl;dr, my powerline speed drops because of electrical interference from many devices around it (still unsolved)
I managed to play around with my plugs and switch it around my room for the highest download speed I could get (unsatisfied but I'll take it)
So today I was playing around with all my electrical devices plugged in my room (monitors, pc, phone chargers, lamps etc), and I found out something.
When I switched off my study lamp (switched off as in unplugged), I realized my download speed dropped significantly. (at this point I thought it was just some electrical noise so i didnt bother)
Then I ran another speed test and realized that my download speed was 10mbps lower than it usually was.
So I plugged it back in and I ran another speed test to find that it went back to normal.
Does anyone have any idea why plugging in my study lamp could increase my download speed? Perhaps this could be the solution to all my networking problems thus far...

I have 3 sockets in my room, 1 on the left side and 2 on the right side.
On the left side, an extension cord is plugged in which houses:
1 PC
2 study lamps (1 of which is in question)
1 hair dryer
2 monitors

On the right side, only 1 socket is in use and it is used to house my powerline adapter, which is a pass-through adapter. So, I use it to house another extension cord, which in turn houses:
A flat iron (turned off)
3 phone chargers
1 router (big culprit from my previous post)

If anyone has any idea why my download speed increases instead of dropping due to electrical noise, please tell me!! This could solve my entire powerline + electrical noise issue :)))
Cheers.

kanewolf

Titan
Without expensive test equipment, nobody will be able to answer this definitively.
It is possible the lamp generates more noise when lightly loaded (turned off) than when it is turned on.

Any answer you get will be guessing on our part because there is no evidence (waveforms, etc).

The best thing you can do is be sure the powerline adapters are plugged directly into the wall and that all your noise generating devices are unplugged or plugged into a power strip with high quality noise filtering.

Mar 18, 2020
Without expensive test equipment, nobody will be able to answer this definitively.
It is possible the lamp generates more noise when lightly loaded (turned off) than when it is turned on.

Any answer you get will be guessing on our part because there is no evidence (waveforms, etc).

The best thing you can do is be sure the powerline adapters are plugged directly into the wall and that all your noise generating devices are unplugged or plugged into a power strip with high quality noise filtering.
Hey, thanks for your reply. When using single surge protectors, should I plug it into whatever is causing the electrical noise or plug it into the extension cord plug?

Mar 18, 2020
I don't know what your "single surge protector" has for noise filtering, so I can't speak to an optimum configuration.
What model powerline adapters do you have ?
TP-Link. Also, I realised that switching on my pc drops my download speed by 30mbps even though my pc and my powerline adapter aren't on the same socket. How do I solve this?