[SOLVED] Download speed is halved when using netflix/voip/etc ?

MagmaticWolf

Honorable
Sep 3, 2015
Computer specs for reference:

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700K
Motherboard: MSI MPG Z690 EDGE WIFI DDR4
Memory: Gskill Trident Z 3200mhz 32 GB
PSU: EVGA G6 Gold 850 W
Storage: 1TB Samsung 970 EVO M.2
GPU: MSI 2080 Super Gaming Trio

Brand new computer build as of a week ago now. Everything has been working flawlessly except some issues with my internet speed. For reference my ISP is Xfinity and I pay for Gig service. On average I get around 930-950 Mb/s via various speed tests.

For some reason using certain things now drops my internet speed by about half. When I stream any sort of video from Netflix, Youtube, etc it drops to around 450-500 Mb/s. Same goes for when I use discord. I can have the program open but the second I join an actual voice channel my speed will dip again to that same range.

I have downloaded the latest drivers for everything including reinstalling my LAN drivers for my motherboard multiple times. I even have a separate network card using Realtek LAN drivers that I have tested and my speed still drops using that as well. This same card gave me my full speed on my old PC. I have tried resetting my entire network at home to default which includes modem and router. I have tested the same thing on 2 other computers on my network and neither one of them have this problem. I have tried swapping ethernet cables and using different ports on my router and no change. I heard that the MSI programs such as Dragon Center are just awful when it comes to just about everything so I got rid of every trace of that too. This issue is new and only started after this new PC build.

I'm kind of at a loss now and can't think of anything else to try. Any help someone can give me is greatly appreciated

Solution
Looks like there still is some software trying to do some form of QoS. In theory you would want netflix and youtube to have priority over downloads so you do not get stalling in the video. Then again it tends to be easier to just limit the download speed in the download application itself.
There might still be software that is attempting to favor some traffic.

The most common ones are bundled with motherboards especially those that have killer ethernet chips. It also comes bundled with video cards lately. Hard to say the exact name but one of the common ones you see loaded is called cfosspeed.

This type of software causes so many issues and has almost no purpose. It can't impact traffic outside the machine and if you have a...

MagmaticWolf

Honorable
Sep 3, 2015
Ok so it doesn't appear to happen in safe mode

My built in ethernet port on the motherboard is still getting less speed for some reason but it stays consistent around 750 Mb/s
My separate network card is getting around the 900 Mb/s I am used to seeing.

that would point to a process going in the background that could be causing this then?

Looks like there still is some software trying to do some form of QoS. In theory you would want netflix and youtube to have priority over downloads so you do not get stalling in the video. Then again it tends to be easier to just limit the download speed in the download application itself.
There might still be software that is attempting to favor some traffic.

The most common ones are bundled with motherboards especially those that have killer ethernet chips. It also comes bundled with video cards lately. Hard to say the exact name but one of the common ones you see loaded is called cfosspeed.

This type of software causes so many issues and has almost no purpose. It can't impact traffic outside the machine and if you have a issue that your programs have overloaded a ethernet port that is a much larger issue than some silly network program can fix.

Reactions: rgd1101
Solution

MagmaticWolf

Honorable
Sep 3, 2015
I did have a run in with cforspeed before posting here. That thing is like malware and was a pain to get rid of but I believe I got rid of every trace of it now. The only thing I know that has Qos is discord itself but that is disabled.

At the point where I just wanna test on a fresh install of windows and take my time installing and testing programs to see if something is the culprit

MagmaticWolf

Honorable
Sep 3, 2015
So I did reinstall windows again and the only 2 things I downloaded were chrome and discord. Still drops my speed using both Netflix and Discord. I let windows find the drivers for both my motherboard LAN and my 3rd party LAN and both of them are doing it.

Super annoying cause my old PC didn't do this. Same network card, Modem/Router, Cables.