Question Download speed is slower on my desktop.

Apr 19, 2019
So I used to get 200 mbps download on my desktop. I don't remember the usual upload speed. Now I'm getting 18 mbps down and 11 mbps up.

I have tried replacing cables, turning speed and duplex to 1gbps and even usb tethering from my phone(which gets 200mpbs down on wifi.)..all the same results.

My laptop on wireless or on the same ethernet cable I use for my desktop gets 200mpbs down and 11 mpbs up.

I'm at a loss here.

You need to leave the settings on auto. Anything else will cause the port to be confuse. To use that option you must be able to set the speed on the router which few if any consumer routers allow. If you have 1 end on auto and the other set you get kinda random results.

I would attempt to copy files between devices in your house to see if maybe it is related to the testing program. You should be able to see the rates in the resource monitor network tab when you are doing the copy.

There is not much to a ethernet connection. It can be the ports in the equipment or it can be the cable. Luckily it is seldom broken ports. Cables fail very strangely they can work on some machines and not on others. Used to be simple buy a new cable but now days there is a massive amount of fake cable on the market. Be sure any cable you use is pure copper (no cca) and is not that thin or flat cable. It must have wire size 22-24. All this information is marked on the side of a proper cable along with the term eia/tia. Used to be EIA/TIA marking meant the cable was actually certified but there are companies from china that mark fake cable with that marking also.

Apr 20, 2019
@ Sivart91, First off how long has then been, Since your internet speed on your desktop been laggy? Also you said you tried both ethernet lan & wifi same result; Also question is all the other devices on your network getting proper speeds? If so, Then its not any equipment from your internet service provider. What sounds to me is either a proxy or vpn program you installed left your proxy settings disabled automatic connection. Or your win sockets have been corrupt or and hostfile issue. I can help you resolve your issue! I have a discord chat dedicated to helping people resolve their issues.

Also @ bill001g suprised a person as experienced as you are will not ask proper questions instead you said this "You need to leave the settings on auto. Anything else will cause the port to be confuse. To use that option you must be able to set the speed on the router which few if any consumer routers allow. If you have 1 end on auto and the other set you get kinda random results. "
What do you mean by settings auto,? You do you realize this man has no idea where you are guiding him??? Especially when it comes to changing settings in a router! At least tell the man to look for his default gateway on router sticker with user name and password to login.. Again Sivart91 here is my discord> https://discord.gg/hYNBMd