[SOLVED] Download speed on PC suddenly very slow

Mar 17, 2020
So all of today I have been using my PC and it is behaving like normal. However, later in the evening (aka the last 6-7 hours) my download speed on my PC has gone down to around 0.5-1.5 Mbps. Its tough to even load web pages, when just a bit ago I was just fine. And it's only my PC, all the other devices in my house get about 35-50 Mbps like usual. I just don't understand what might have changed so quickly. Any help would be appreciated.

I've tried scanning for viruses, updating drivers, the usual.

Solution
Be nice if electronics just smoked and dies when it goes bad but it is very common for wifi to partially work. You have almost no options with wifi. Anything that can be set is buried deep in the chips and they intentionally restrict access. Used to be you could do things like set your area to russia and run the radios on illegal bands for most countries.

Because other pc are not affected you have pretty much eliminated many of the other causes.

Check to see if there is linux driver for your nic. You could try a unix boot image. That will quickly tell you if it might be a OS issues.
I would try a ethernet cable just to be sure it is not something in your PC. You can also test the wifi close to the router at the same time.

Although it is not likely it could be a failed wifi card. It could also be that a neighbor is using the same radio channel and is closer to your pc than others in the house. If it runs a lot better close to the router then it is likely a interference issue.

Mar 17, 2020
I would try a ethernet cable just to be sure it is not something in your PC. You can also test the wifi close to the router at the same time.

Although it is not likely it could be a failed wifi card. It could also be that a neighbor is using the same radio channel and is closer to your pc than others in the house. If it runs a lot better close to the router then it is likely a interference issue.

It seems to be about the same wherever I put my PC so I doubt it's an interference issue. My phone is right beside my PC for instance and its getting 30 mbps while my PC is getting 5 Mbps at most.

If it was a failed WiFi card would I still be able to get WiFi at all? If so that's a possibility.

Be nice if electronics just smoked and dies when it goes bad but it is very common for wifi to partially work. You have almost no options with wifi. Anything that can be set is buried deep in the chips and they intentionally restrict access. Used to be you could do things like set your area to russia and run the radios on illegal bands for most countries.

Because other pc are not affected you have pretty much eliminated many of the other causes.

Check to see if there is linux driver for your nic. You could try a unix boot image. That will quickly tell you if it might be a OS issues.

Solution
Mar 17, 2020

Ok I'll try the things you've recommended. Thanks for all the help!