Status
Not open for further replies.

Ilan25000

Commendable
Oct 27, 2019
Hello,

I am Ilan __

[Moderator edit to remove personal information, last name.]

and I recently noticed something weird, normally I download my games at around 40mbps, the speedtest still gives me the results: 300mbps download and 40mbps upload. so i should be able to download my games at at least 30mbps right?? wrong, whenever I start a download, It spikes up to 40 at first and then quickly drops down to 1-3 mbps and then it just stays there. does anyone have a clue on how to fix this.

Pc: ryzen 7 3700x, 16gb hyperx predator 3200mhz ddr4 ram, rx 5700 xt, Msi B450-A Pro motherboard with the ryzen 3000 bios update, corsair TX 650 gold, 256gb samsung 850 evo, 1tb wd green hdd, airflow: 2x200mm+3x120mm rgb fans.

Kind Regards: Ilan ____

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
If speedtest is still giving the same results then the issue exists with the "game" server/s at the other end of the connection. Nothing you do at your end can change that.

Ralston18

Titan
Use Task Manager or Resource Monitor to observe system performance while running speedtest or downloading games.

Either or both but only one at a time.

Determine what resources are being used, what is using them, and to what extent.

Make and model router?

The router's logs, if available and enabled, may provide some clue. Who has full admin rights to the router?

You will need help from that person.

Ilan25000

Commendable
Oct 27, 2019
Use Task Manager or Resource Monitor to observe system performance while running speedtest or downloading games.

Either or both but only one at a time.

Determine what resources are being used, what is using them, and to what extent.

Make and model router?

The router's logs, if available and enabled, may provide some clue. Who has full admin rights to the router?

You will need help from that person.
I also looked at the router, it says it's a 'technicolor' router, my provider is ziggo.

Ralston18

Titan
Yes: Task Manager - select Ethernet and watch there.

Also note that "Resource Monitor" is available as an immediate option ("Open Resource Monitor).

You can go ahead and open that as well just to make it easier to view what is happening during speed testing and downloads.

Router: Technicolor and Ziggo noted. However, who has admin rights to the router? Router access may be necessary to look for configuration issues or error codes.

Ilan25000

Commendable
Oct 27, 2019
Yes: Task Manager - select Ethernet and watch there.

Also note that "Resource Monitor" is available as an immediate option ("Open Resource Monitor).

You can go ahead and open that as well just to make it easier to view what is happening during speed testing and downloads.

Router: Technicolor and Ziggo noted. However, who has admin rights to the router? Router access may be necessary to look for configuration issues or error codes.
I can login to a site to change the router settings if i want to, it's one of those http://(insert ip) sites. I don't know if that's what you mean, but other than that we don't really have any admin rights i think. not 100% sure tho.

Hello,

I am Ilan __

[Moderator edit to remove personal information, last name.]

and I recently noticed something weird, normally I download my games at around 40mbps, the speedtest still gives me the results: 300mbps download and 40mbps upload. so i should be able to download my games at at least 30mbps right?? wrong, whenever I start a download, It spikes up to 40 at first and then quickly drops down to 1-3 mbps and then it just stays there. does anyone have a clue on how to fix this.

Pc: ryzen 7 3700x, 16gb hyperx predator 3200mhz ddr4 ram, rx 5700 xt, Msi B450-A Pro motherboard with the ryzen 3000 bios update, corsair TX 650 gold, 256gb samsung 850 evo, 1tb wd green hdd, airflow: 2x200mm+3x120mm rgb fans.

Kind Regards: Ilan ____
Your speed is going to be a function of just how fast the other end can feed the pipe. It doesn't matter that you have unlimited bandwidth at your end if the server at the other end is only able to pump out 2 or 3 Mb/sec. Nothing you do on your machine can change this.

Ilan25000

Commendable
Oct 27, 2019
Your speed is going to be a function of just how fast the other end can feed the pipe. It doesn't matter that you have unlimited bandwidth at your end if the server at the other end is only able to pump out 2 or 3 Mb/sec. Nothing you do on your machine can change this.
I think you misunderstand my problem, last month I could download my games at 30-40megabytes per second, and last month the speed test said 300mbps download and 40 upload, I didn't change anything, and now i download at 1-4 mbps, it does however spike to 39 for just a couple seconds at the start of the download before going down to 1-4. so what i'm trying to figure out is why my downloads went from 40mbps to 1-4 mbps, something has to have changed in order for this to happen and I am trying to figure out what that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.