[SOLVED] Download speed slower than it should be, only on wired.

Jul 13, 2020
So this issue is really puzzling me. I get about 200Mbps download and 15Mbps upload from my ISP. I've tried speedtests such as testmy.net, google speedtest, speedof.me, dslreports speed test, even speedtest.net

the results are kinda all over the place, but sites like google, testmy.net and speedof.me are all showing my download speed around 5-15Mbps, and my upload speed consistently still at it's regular 15-16Mbps upload like it should.

DSLReports shows me at about 90Mbps download with the regular 15-16 upload.

and speedtest.net shows me at 220Mbps download with the regular 15-16 upload.

When I do these tests on my phone with wireless, they all give me my regular 200+ download, 15+ upload.(except dslreports showing like 70 download)

Similar things happened when trying my laptop(getting like 70 download on laptop wifi, 15 on wired) all have the regular upload speed.

I've tried restarting modem, disabling wifi, tried using different ports on modem(tried all 4), tried using a different ethernet cable, always pretty much the same results.

Also a little odd to me that DSLReports and speedtest.net show more regular speeds when I know something's wrong because the past little while I haven't been able to watch 1080p streams without buffering when I used to with no problems.

Solution
Your ISP probably uses DHCP (like most), and getting a new assignment may be helping briefly.

It certainly could also be your modem -- that kind of behavior can come with overheating, and the recycle time is allowing it to cool -- I've had that issue in the past and just used a new modem. Most modems do not have fans and are in plastic cases.

RealBeast

Titan
It could be related to all the people working from home watching movies while on the clock and causing your ISP to be a little slower than before. I've had that issue with DSL in the past, they put too many users on my central office for a while.

Jul 13, 2020
It could be related to all the people working from home watching movies while on the clock and causing your ISP to be a little slower than before. I've had that issue with DSL in the past, they put too many users on my central office for a while.
I mean, that would probably make sense if my wireless internet from the same modem was slow as well, but like I said in the post, it's still my regular speeds, it's only wired that has slow download speed? Unless that somehow only affects my wired connection and not wireless somehow?

RealBeast

Titan
I mean, that would probably make sense if my wireless internet from the same modem was slow as well, but like I said in the post, it's still my regular speeds, it's only wired that has slow download speed? Unless that somehow only affects my wired connection and not wireless somehow?
It really depends what you are doing with each, hard to compare wired and wireless speeds in some cases. I understand what you are saying and it does seem odd, but speed measurements can give you strange results occasionally.

Jul 13, 2020
It really depends what you are doing with each, hard to compare wired and wireless speeds in some cases. I understand what you are saying and it does seem odd, but speed measurements can give you strange results occasionally.

Still having this problem, only on my direct connection. Something new I've noticed is that when I unplug the modem completely for a few minutes then plug it back in, the speed tests are back to normal, giving me 200+ Mbps on all of them, but after a few minutes it goes down to 50 Mbps, and then a little while later, maybe 30 mins-1hr it goes back down to like 5 Mbps. I've retried this multiple times now and it's the same result. Super confused on this behaviour for only direct connection since resetting it shouldn't give me normal speeds for a little while if the net in the area is bogged down, and if there was an issue with the hardware, I'd figure it'd always be slow?

RealBeast

Titan
Your ISP probably uses DHCP (like most), and getting a new assignment may be helping briefly.

It certainly could also be your modem -- that kind of behavior can come with overheating, and the recycle time is allowing it to cool -- I've had that issue in the past and just used a new modem. Most modems do not have fans and are in plastic cases.

Solution