Download speed slower than it should be?

ajhockey

Commendable
Jul 9, 2016
Hey,

I'm not getting the download speed that I'm supposed to be getting. I have a computer that is connected via a powerline adapter Ethernet cable. My upload is supposed to be about 15-20 and I get 16 Mbps when I test it; however, my download is supposed to be 90-100 and I'm consistently getting 15 - 25 Mbps. Why would only the download speed be inhibited? My brother had the same problem and he fixed it via some settings on his Ethernet port that were limiting his speeds. However, I don't have the same Ethernet port as him so I don't have the same system.

Long story short, is there some sort of setting on my PC that could be limiting my download speed? I searched for a while and couldn't find anything.

I'm using Windows 10 on a pretty powerful desktop, to be clear.

Again, note that the upload speed is working perfectly fine, which causes me to think it's something on my PC and not with my cords.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
i had a problem after a windows update that win 10 was using internet, so much that it took my download speed to 10mb from 40mb, go to task manager and see whats using most of your network, if its a ''service host: local system'' using like 30% that might be your problem. just follow this if it is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUD4Uq6GCUk
and see if it fixes it

Uniquey

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
Hi,

Are there any other users on your network?
Are you currently downloading files?
Are these results from www.speedtest.net?
Have you tried testing this directly connected to your router and using a different workstation/laptop?

There isn't anything which would limit your download speed without hindering your upload speed.

Best regards,

Uniquey

ajhockey

Commendable
Jul 9, 2016

Yes, there are other users, though only my family, which consists of four people including myself.

I'm not currently downloading any files; I know download speeds to be reported as much lower under those conditions.

These results are from www.speedtest.net, yes.

I haven't tried directly connecting, but my brother has with his own PC and he has about 90 Mbps download speed with the same upload speed as my own. He didn't previously, but he found a setting that was hindering his download and upload speed.

Uniquey

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
I would try connecting your PC directly into the router.

Depending on those results it could be you need to install the software for your powerline adapter, or update your network drivers.

Best regards,

Uniquey