[SOLVED] Download speed stuck on 1.3MB/s on browsers compared to other programs and actual bandwidth.

TheStagGamer

Distinguished
BANNED
Feb 17, 2016
Hi there.
I seem to have run into a problem where my downloads on browsers only download at a speed of 1.3MB/s. (Edge, Chrome, Chrome incogneto[With no extentions] + Firefox) Even when I download on steam at 5.8MB/s and on speedtest get around 50mbps.

The file-hosting website doesn't seem to be the problem, I've tried downloading from a few different websites.

Anyone got any ideas what could be causing this?

Steam downloading| Edge downloading | Firefox downloading | Chrome downloading | Speedtest result

Solution
It's likely that's all the site is delivering to you. Since speedtest runs in a browser window, your browser is capable of seeing higher speeds. Could also be maxing out on your hard drive's ability to write it any faster, or could be (unlikely) related to MTU (Maximun Transmission Unit) - it's related to packet size on downloads - MTU of 1500 is the norm. But it's likely what the website is putting out.
Oct 15, 2019
It's likely that's all the site is delivering to you. Since speedtest runs in a browser window, your browser is capable of seeing higher speeds. Could also be maxing out on your hard drive's ability to write it any faster, or could be (unlikely) related to MTU (Maximun Transmission Unit) - it's related to packet size on downloads - MTU of 1500 is the norm. But it's likely what the website is putting out.

Solution