[SOLVED] Download speed unbelievably slow and very high ping but my upload speed is fine. They all go back to normal at night. Why?

Jan 8, 2021
Apologies my first post is a question.
Im with TalkTalk and on a fibre plan. Promised 70mbps down.
Testing with various different sites, ofcom and ookla, getting around 2mbps down 110ms and 18mbps up.
At night roughly 2am it goes back to normal 20ms and 70mbps.
Im through Ethernet and I'm not changing the amount of devices connected in my house.
I was on the phone with the bloke from talktalk today and he said that all is fine with the line and they are seeing 70mbps to my router and are sending an engineer thatll set me back £40.
So they think that its my router but why would it go back to normal at night?
I cant figure out why this is happening.
I really do appreciate any help or anything.
Thanks

Solution
All the nice deceptive contract words like "up to". Although not as much a issue as years ago ISP still over sell the network. They might have 10gbit of capacity to some area of town. Rather than sell 10 people 1gbit they sell 100 or maybe even 1000 people 1gbit and hope that everyone is not using it all at the same time. Time of day problems are almost always other people competing for the line. Maybe worth the money. Tell them you will pay it BUT the tech has to show you a speed test on his PC connected to "there?your" router. He can't just hook up his meters and show your the signal levels. Most times if they actually find a issue they will not charge you. Then again it might be worth paying just to have the...
I wouldn't totally believe that the problem is on your end.
It would be interesting to see what the engineer says.
I have Viasat for an ISP.....and it is about 8 times faster at night than during the day..and it has always been much faster at night....for years.

Reactions: SamirD
All the nice deceptive contract words like "up to". Although not as much a issue as years ago ISP still over sell the network. They might have 10gbit of capacity to some area of town. Rather than sell 10 people 1gbit they sell 100 or maybe even 1000 people 1gbit and hope that everyone is not using it all at the same time. Time of day problems are almost always other people competing for the line. Maybe worth the money. Tell them you will pay it BUT the tech has to show you a speed test on his PC connected to "there?your" router. He can't just hook up his meters and show your the signal levels. Most times if they actually find a issue they will not charge you. Then again it might be worth paying just to have the problem fixed. Now it might not be overload it could be that other people in your nieghorhoods equipment is somehow interfering when they use it.

Be very sure that this happens all the time during the day you don't want them coming out if the problem is very random because they would then have to get lucky and be there when it is not performing.

Solution
Jan 8, 2021
All the nice deceptive contract words like "up to". Although not as much a issue as years ago ISP still over sell the network. They might have 10gbit of capacity to some area of town. Rather than sell 10 people 1gbit they sell 100 or maybe even 1000 people 1gbit and hope that everyone is not using it all at the same time. Time of day problems are almost always other people competing for the line. Maybe worth the money. Tell them you will pay it BUT the tech has to show you a speed test on his PC connected to "there?your" router. He can't just hook up his meters and show your the signal levels. Most times if they actually find a issue they will not charge you. Then again it might be worth paying just to have the problem fixed. Now it might not be overload it could be that other people in your nieghorhoods equipment is somehow interfering when they use it.

Be very sure that this happens all the time during the day you don't want them coming out if the problem is very random because they would then have to get lucky and be there when it is not performing.

Thanks for the reply,
I was thinking along the same lines - lockdowns just been announced and everyone is back straining their wifi but is that really responsible for dropping the normal speed over tenfold?
It wasnt like that during the first lockdown.

I should've mentioned that a few nights ago the wifi went out for alot of talktalk customers and its been like that ever since.
Talking of deception I asked a direct question "Have many people been having this issue?" To the customer rep and he managed to swerve away from it 3 times.
The engineer will only take money if he either cant find the problem or finds a problem with the hub - not too worried as I'm sure its either the traffic or the hub.
Again thank you for the reply

Jan 8, 2021
I wouldn't totally believe that the problem is on your end.
It would be interesting to see what the engineer says.
I have Viasat for an ISP.....and it is about 8 times faster at night than during the day..and it has always been much faster at night....for years.

Yes that's what I was thinking, no change to anything I normally do and they are trying to pin it on me, however mine is normally fine during the day.
I'm very curious about what he'll say and no doubt will I ask him to run a speed test on his laptop
Thanks the reply.

Since you're in the eu, I would look into using the thinkbroadband monitors to keep an eye on your connection. I actually use them for watching my 4x isp accounts even though I'm across the pond, and they are terrific for graphically showing you what's wrong and documenting it so you can show the isp too.