Download the Tom's Hardware Windows 8 Metro App Today

Status
Not open for further replies.

rrockman

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009
Hah!!! Right in the face of all the Windows 8 and Metro naysayers that abound around here!! Well done Tom's H, I'm liking you more than ever today!! :D

hoof_hearted

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
I finally got Win8 up on my ESXI5 server and I have to say, it was not worth the effort, well maybo so, I am fully up-to-date with patches on ESXi, but cannot stand the lack of a start button. I know the schtik, we have to accept change. But can't they change things that the user community wants? Like fix the bug that when you sleep a laptop, it sleep consistantly?

I am waiting for the metro virus that starts shifting those app tiles around like that little cheap plastic tile-puzzle thing.

ikefu

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
I'm not sure if I like Metro or not, but I do know that people who get mad at change without really testing it are what cause big companies to release so many Blasse and borning products/games. We need companies to push new ideas, the bad ones will die away and future products will rescue the good ideas from the bad implementations and let us actually advance. But when we get mad just because something is different without giving it a chance, we just doom ourselves to being stuck with the same old tech time after time.

*cough* video game and movie sequels *cough*

PS Time to go dig out my Windows 8 VM. I'll be trying this out soon :)

Cryio

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
The app looks great. Good job Tom. Although, working up and down on the pages with the arrow keys feels a bit weird.

And by the way. Where is the comments section? I want to the have it in the Metro app.

G

It is very neat and smooth; agreed on the mouse wheel not working so far reading articles - would be a better without trying to hit the vertical scrollbars.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
[citation][nom]Haserath[/nom]What's the point when you can just come to the site?[/citation]
No kidding... I've always found apps to be stupid for that very reason.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Yeah, I really want to download an app for every site I visit. Who needs the world wide web when we can have hundreds of apps installed and constantly keep updating them?

Here's what Tom's Hardware app for Android wants:

Read phone state and identity
Allows the application to access the phone features of the device. An application with this permission can determine the phone number of this phone, whether a call is active, the number that call is connected to, and the like.

Is this really necessary? And every time a new version of an app is installed, it can ask for new permissions. Assuming you care about apps having access to your personal information, checking app permissions every time they update is a lot of work just to get something inferior to even the mobile site. Apps are for stuff that use device capabilities that browsers don't have (yet).

Are Metro apps similarly intrusive?

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
I refuse to install any Metro apps because all of the FREE apps (including the one provided by Tom's) require you to use a Microsoft account just to install them. How does that make sense? I have to sign up for a Microsoft account to install a free piece of software on my computer? Except for those people who use the Xbox and already have Microsoft accounts, no one is going to sign up for an extra account and therefore the Metro Start screen will be completely useless (which it already was).

G

Loved the App while test driving Windows 8 Release Preview.

But had to re-install Windows 7, Windows 8 was not stable had to do hard resets every now and then due to sudden unresponsiveness for desktop applications.

rrockman

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009
[citation][nom]rrockman[/nom]Hah!!! Right in the face of all the Windows 8 and Metro naysayers that abound around here!! Well done Tom's H, I'm liking you more than ever today!![/citation]
Hahahah!! I took a -8 on that comment!!! You're a bunch of kids here, do you know it's exactly clear now?? :D

RealityClash

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
Honestly don't know why everyone hates on Windows 8 and the idea of apps so much. Sure it is often easier just to go to the website but when used on a touch based device such as tablet when you're on the go, apps are often much more efficient to use.

As for Windows 8 itself, if you so badly hate the idea of a product that hasn't even fully been released then stop complaining about it and just don't buy the damn thing... I for one love the idea of having so much power and a full blown OS in such a compact and portable form factor. Not only this but the problems that manufacturers have to get past to make something like this work helps to push innovation in a market that has much been the same for the past 10 or 20 years.

Think what you will but I personally am excited about this new direction that the market is going in and can’t wait to get my hands on something like the Asus Taichi which has the power and functionality of a decent notebook but with the portability and ease of use of a tablet which will be amazing for uni next year.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/04/asus-taichi-notebook-tablet/

Status
Not open for further replies.